cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain abuse notice email from ICANN (SCAM?)

Hi, I got this email from somebody in the Abuse Domain Dept. of ICANN. Is this legit?

We are actually doing nothing with the domain and it is hosted in a certified provider. I believe is a Scam or virus related. The links points to a word document at [removed link to protect others from clicking] but can not be downloaded.

Dear Domain Owner,

Our system has detected that your domain: xxxxx.org is being used for spamming and spreading malware recently.

You can download the detailed abuse report of your domain along with date/time of incidents. [removed link to protect others from clicking]

We have also provided detailed instruction on how to delist your domain from our blacklisting.

Please download the report immediately and take proper action within 24 hours otherwise your domain will be suspended permanently.

There is also possibility of legal action depend on severity and persistence of your abuse case.

Three Simple Steps:

1. Download your abuse report.

2. Check your domain abuse incidents along with date and time.

3. Take few simple steps for prevention and to avoid domain suspension.

[removed link to protect others from clicking]

Please look into it and contact us.

Best Regards,

Domain Abuse Dept.

ICANN Inc.

Tel.: (139) 789-50-45

4 REPLIES 4
New

I believe this is spam.  I got one like it today.  When I have received real notices of abuse it has always been from the domain hosting provider and has been sent with a specific example of what has been flagged as spam and includes instructions on how to resolve it through the hosting provider.

The message from "icann-monitor.org" is a scam/phishing attempt.

Please report receipt of this or similar suspicious email to ICANN

at tech-support @ icann.org.

If possible, include copy of suspect email message with full headers.

thank you,

Geoff Bickers

ICANN Security Team

Hello,

Recently got the exact same email - I didn't open because it looked fishy. 

Step 1: Hover over the actual email sender address (do not click) and see which domain its from.

Step 2: Check the domain with a virus scanner such as virustotal(dot)com or enter the domain into google search and see results. 

= This should give you an idea as to if this is a scam/fishing attempt. Remember, you dont have to download ANYTHING for you to be infected. There are plenty of ways to get a virus through Javascript/PDF exploits.

Stay safe cheeky scrubs.

Yes I got one for my .guru site. 😞 no chance I'm clicking on ANY link!