cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to make my domain point to my nameservers by IP?

Hello, I would like one of my domains, that I acquired in GoDaddy, handled by DNS servers running on my network that I am setting up. It looks like I should change the DNS settings in GoDaddy to "Custom" and enter my DNS nameservers in the fields, but is there any way to do it using only the IP addresses rather than the hostnames of my DNS servers? The reason is that the hostnames won't be visible until my domain starts being handled by my DNS servers, until then they will be available only by their IPs addresses.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Solution

Re: How to make my domain point to my nameservers by IP?

Hi @mlerma54

You will need to use the hostname then set those as the domain's name servers. You can create your own host names by using our domain manager. 

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thank you. In fact I had already done that, but the nameservers were showing the domain's IP instead of the requested IPs. Everything seems to be fine now.

Hi - I have an IP address pointing to my web server.  If I type ipaddress on any browser it is reaching my web server.  I need to add a dns entry to my domain pointing to that ip address so if someone enters domain name in the browser, it should come to my web server.  I tried to create hostnames with that ip addresses and added those host names as my domain dns servers.  Still when I type my domain it is giving me error message server DNS address could not be found.  Did I miss anything or do I need to wait for a day or so to see changes?