cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Pointing an external domain to godaddy

Hi, 

I have a cpanel based hosting account and have a domain which I currently use that I want to start using with my hosting account to receive email and eventually host a website.  Initially the most critical thing will be ensuring all email is delivered and managed through m GoDaddy account.  No website content needs to be moved.  I'll start from scratch on that.

Background:

1. I already have a another domain address as my primary domain and the domain I which to newly host will be a secondary domain.

2. I've created an Addon Domain entry with cPanel.  

3. I think I all I need to do now is go to my registrar and point the domain to the nameservers.  Is this correct?  I've looked at the help pages and have attempted to find the nameservers on my own through the Zone Editor in cPanel but their are no entries for the nameservers. Only an MX record.

I've talked to two support people and have gotten two or three answers on what to do and two different sets of nameservers.  And that was after prompting.  I don't think they understood what I was trying to do.....

Questions:

1) Is it correct that all I need to do is point the name servers to the correct locations with my registrar. 

2) How do I find the nameservers?

3) Do I need to do any other work in cPanel to ensure email will be routed correctly? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Pointing an external domain to godaddy

Hey there @verdin77 

I think I can help you out with this one.

1. Yes, all you should have to do is point the domain at your current registrar to GoDaddy's name servers. After that, you should be able to manage the DNS for the GoDaddy Domain Management system for you site.
  2. The easiest way you can do this is to take your primary domain, put it into something like WhatsMyDNS (3rd party link), and search the NS selection. It should give you two of them. As long as it's the primary on that hosting server, it should be the one's you need.
  3. If you're using an 3rd party email product, like 0365 or GSuite, you'll need to make sure the MX Entry is set to remote on cPanel for that particular domain. Just use the search function and look up MX Entry. You can't miss it. 

I hope that helps and everything works out! If you run into any issues, please let us know and we'll try to help you work through it. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I'll manage email through the server at godaddy.  

Thanks very much for the comments.  I'll start the process after hours and see how it goes.

@MrVapor ... I updated the nameservers about 45min ago and the A record looks to be propagating using whatsmydns and the MX record is not.  As an fyi all I've done so far is point to the nameservers here at godaddy.  

Super User III
Super User III

@verdin77 

If it still hasn't propagated for you completely, then that's definitely a DNS issue of some sort. The server itself may need a DNS cache flush. That's something you'd have to call into support for assistance with, however.

Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@MrVapor Thanks very much for helping out.  Looks like everything is working.

Super User III
Super User III

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you!