cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Hello, I recently switched to GoDaddy from another provider. I am running into some delivery issues on emails from my server. I have been able to resolve most of the issues except for some SMTP errors. I use MXToolbox to check my server and come up with the following notifications:

SMTP Banner CheckReverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner More Info
SMTP TLSWarning - Does not support TLS. More Info
SMTP Transaction Time15.070 seconds - Not good! on Transaction Time More Info
SMTP Reverse DNS MismatchOK - 50.62.57.212 resolves to ip-50-62-57-212.ip.secureserver.net 
SMTP Valid HostnameOK - Reverse DNS is a valid Hostname 
SMTP Connection Time0 seconds - Good on Connection time 
SMTP Open RelayOK - Not an open relay.

Additionally many of the major ISP are blocking my emails. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

I'm not sure how much your mail ip reverse DNS matching actually matters, but since GoDaddy doesn't change rdns values of IP addresses I just set my hostname to match what the IP is set to. In this case it would be ip-50-62-57-212.ip.secureserver.net.

Hosting support can look at our mail relay logs and may be able to give you more info on why a specific message didn't make it through. If you're hosting sites where transactional mail is very important to you, you might look into a sendgrid.com or mailgun.com.

Highlighted
Helper I

It matters a lot.  If your reverse DNS entry contains the IP being looked up, SORB DUHL will classify the IP address as a dynamic IP address, blacklisting it as an email server, which will cause some email hosts/providers to block emails sent from this IP address. The reverse lookup mismatch will also also cause some email hosts/providers to treat the email as spam.  The combination of the two is not acceptable, and to say you should sign up for an enterprise grade email host just because you host a site that needs reliable email delivery is unacceptable.  GoDaddy needs to provide reverse DNS, especially when the owner of the domain and IP are one in the same and both are provided by GoDaddy (which you could also easily verify via forward DNS).

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

I'm far removed from the people making those decisions, but it's something I know GoDaddy's looking into.

That being said, you're not allowed to directly send mail from any GoDaddy server, they're all configured to relay through a smarthost.

Highlighted
Helper I

@transparent wrote:

I'm far removed from the people making those decisions, but it's something I know GoDaddy's looking into.

Good to hear, although will probably be too late for me (in the process of migrating to a hosting company that allows reverse DNS for dedicated IPs.

@transparent wrote:

That being said, you're not allowed to directly send mail from any GoDaddy server, they're all configured to relay through a smarthost.

That's a disingenuous answer.  You certainly are allowed to send emails originating from your VPS and using your domain name specified in your MX record.  Of course, those are technically sent through a GoDaddy relay server, but then again that's pretty much how everything on the internet works...

https://youtu.be/Aq_1l316ow8