cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unwanted Phone Calls

Since purchasing my domain, I have received scores of unwanted and annoying telemarketing phone calls. I quickly realized that I should have purchased the option to make my domain private, and made the correction, but the calls keep coming...and coming...and coming...

I am not accusing GoDaddy of selling my information, like so many others have in posts to this forum--they very well may be--however, I do think GoDaddy is negligent in not making it ABSOLUTELY and ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that these phone calls could be the result of NOT buying the option to make the domain private.

I am pretty angry about this! I have purchased several domains from GoDaddy, some not private, but I have never experienced this volume of calls. The phone calls are driving me crazy and I am not about to change the the phone number I have been using for my business for almost 20 years! I couldn't even imagine the loss of revenue that might result if I did.

What say you, GoDaddy? How do I stop these constant calls? 

13 REPLIES 13
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Unwanted Phone Calls

@djicenine

Well, the thing is public records are public records.   If you don't buy privacy -- your domain records remain public.

The Privacy Service is clear:

=> Protects against identity theft

=> Prevents domain-related spam

=> Deters domain hacking

Not sure what more they are supposed to do.  Smiley Frustrated   Anyone could at anytime during the checkout process investigate the services they are buying (or not buying) before finalizing their order.

With that said, I have hundreds of domains with GoDaddy.   Only a handful have privacy and I don't have a crazy phone solicitation rate.  Could it be the most recent domain is in an industry that may have more phone solicitors farming WhoIs records for leads?

Judith
"I failed my way to success." ~Thomas Edison

Thanks for the reply, Muse! I just think that the consequences of not making the domain private should be emphasized more. 

I purchased my last domain name (which was premiere, and cost way too much money IMO), and was never given the option for 'privacy.' The amount of calls I've received in the past 48 hours is infuriating.

New

18 calls in 3 days, ridiculous.  I bought a number of domains some private, some public but NEVER again will I use my phone number for this (big mistake).  Very disappointed with this service.

18 calls in three days? I got 14 YESTERDAY.

I have received hundreds of calls this is unacceptable for business to business relations If this is an ongoing problem affecting Godaddys customers the PRIVACY feature should be included in the purchase to PROTECT THE CONSUMERS ( that would be the benefit of buying domains with GoDaddy and not another company ) I will be calling GoDaddy tomorrow. I hope I do not have shift to another company.

yep. a barrage of calls from outside the us offering website services. will not take no for an answer and it obviously does no good to tell them to take you off the call list. The last person that called (third call within an hour) I just laid the phone down and let him talk for 10 minutes and then hung up. 

Well, how about this.  In the customer funnel when purchasing. Why not just say "don't want annoying sales calls? Make sure you purchase Privacy".  That is a great upsell opportunity and will improve the brand's reputation. 

I too am ready to take my business elsewhere.   This is really annoying.  

I had 16 calls yesterday alone. My domain purchase was the last thing I did online, in regards to providing my personal information, and the calls started coming in within 24 hours. I also PAID FOR THE PRIVACY OPTION, but they sold my information anyway. I'm on the national DNS registry, but these scam artists don't follow the laws, they don't scrub their call lists. I'm super pissed, so as soon as I can, I'm going to use a different company for my domain management.

I paid for privacy and I've received an average of 16 calls per day since I purchased this domain. I'm livid. Just need to figure out how to go to a different company.

agreed. Super annoying. I spoke to one person who when I said no thank you not interested, replied back, "then you aren't a smart businessman." Godaddy needs to realize that while these scammers may not be directly related to their company, having them call customers so quickly after purchasing their service/product directly reflects on them --- and not in a good light.

I too just registered a new domain this weekend (I have hundreds that I have registered in the last 20 years and never had this issue before) and am now receiving a new phone call from overseas every half hour (but only about the new domain name). I called GoDaddy to get them to stop selling my info and some customer service rep tried to sell me Privacy. Here's the thing: if you have to pay money to stop harassment, that's called extortion. The rep said that GoDaddy is not selling my info and that these harassers are just getting better at skimming the data. Then why am I not getting these phone calls for my other domains? I said then I would just change my phone number on my WHOIS listing and he said that if I falsify info on my domain that GoDaddy will take my site down. What part of the word "extortion" are we not getting here? With hundreds of client domains, it would cost me thousands of dollars each year to protect myself from this barrage of calls. This is new. This will come up as a class action suit or in the news in the next few months. As I typed this, another call came in.

I got a call a couple of weeks ago saying that the callers was from GODADDY and that all of my domains were expiring in the next few days. This, of course, was complete and utter BS. Not happy either.