cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Using a Domain on IcyBoards

To use my domain on icyboards I need to to set a few things and I can't figure out how to do some of it. They recommended using NameCheap and now I can see why. Now I'm stuck because I can't transfer my domain for 60 days (which honestly is beyond absurd and ridiculous).

Can anyone help me because things aren't adding. For example in DNS settings I see how to change the www host but I don't see how to change the entire CNAME. Any help would be, well, helpful. Instructions provided by host paraphrased and linked below.

-------------------------------------------------

Your domain must have a CNAME record and point it to forums.icyboards.net. Open the domain you want to use in Namecheap. On the left menu, click "All Host Records". For the @ host name, enter "forums.icyboards.net". For the www host name, enter your domain name, prefixed with http://. The example below shows the correct configuration for the domain icypromotion.com. Click "Save Changes". Your domain will usually begin working within 10 minutes, but it could take up to 24 hours.

https://forums.icyboards.net/showthread.php?tid=397

7 REPLIES 7
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Using a Domain on IcyBoards

To set this up first go to your Domain Control Panel https://dcc.godaddy.com and login if needed.

Follow the steps to Delete DNS records and Delete the A record for "@" and delete the CNAME Record for "www"

Then follow the steps to Add a CNAME record and enter the following.

Once the CNAME record is set you will need to follow the steps to Forward a subdomain

and should looks like this

After the steps are complete everything should be good.

Hey @ZER0

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Generally a new domain name registration has a CNAME record for 'www' already created. By default we have this record set to point to the '@' value which is the same IP your root domain will resolve to without 'www'. Based on the summary provided, you just need to change "@" to "forums.icyboards.net"  using the steps outlined here.

Let us know if that helps you get the domain pointed. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

I tried OSLINUX's idea first. I got as far as the first image. After deleting the A and WWW records I tried to add a new one as instructed and got this error in return: An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support.

CG, I also had trouble with your suggestion. When I changed @ to "forums.icyboards.net" it gave me an error telling me that it only accepts an IP Address. The host however informs me that he IP address changes and the CNAME record had to be "forums.icyboards.net". So I'm stuck there. 

Helper V
Helper V

@ZER0 I would recommend clearing your browsers cache and cookies and then delete the A Record for "@" and the CNAME  record for "www" after they are deleted or of already deleted try and add a new CNAME Record and configure it like in the screenshot above. If you are still getting an error Try adding a CNAME record

Set Host to: test

Set points to: forums.icyboards.net

I tested and was able to add the CNAME for "@" with no errors. If you are still getting the error then you will need to contact support for further assistance as there may be an error on your account.

New

The Test worked but I got the same error with @. I'll ask support I guess.

New

Support was less than helpful. So, I kicked IcyBoards to the curb and got a different host. I changed to the new host name servers. The website now displays a white page with the text: This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later. 

Normal? I don't remember this being part of the process. New process??

Employee
Employee

Hey @ZER0,

That sounds like the domain may be forwarded to itself and is in a forwarding loop. If you have a forward added, try removing it and see if that helps.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support