cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Whois masking for spammers

GoDaddy's new WHOIS masking is making it a serious hassle track down spammers, whom now love GoDaddy.  I'll be closing my GoDaddy account and reporting every single masked domain that I encounter to ICANN.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Whois masking for spammers

@KevinMcMurtrie wrote:

GoDaddy's new WHOIS masking is making it a serious hassle track down spammers, whom now love GoDaddy.  I'll be closing my GoDaddy account and reporting every single masked domain that I encounter to ICANN.

@KevinMcMurtrie Hi Kevin, there is a process for reporting domain names that are spamming to both Godaddy and ICANN. Not sure what you mean by the new whois masking, all registrars, including Godaddy have offered whois privacy for years. If you're referring to Godaddy withholding certain portions of the whois to other whois services then you can use Godaddy's whois to view that information. Also, I highly, highly doubt that scammers/spammers are going to use their full name, address and phone number in the whois...

----

I see my other reply was deleted so here it is again.

You're completely missing the point about spammers having fake contact info.  Terminating domain names under ICANN's TLDs with falsified information is fast and effective against spammers using distributed botnet hosting.

Anonymous domain name management services are no loophole because they're using e-mail spam filters that recognize spammer hostnames.  Essentially, the management service can't be a valid contact for a spammer's domain because it will reject any e-mails mentioning it.  The domain still gets killed.

Now here's GoDaddy showing only a broken URL in the WHOIS protocol and throwing up lengthy capchas on the web site.  Spammers love services like this that can be abused to keep them online longer.  I have stopped spending money here.

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@KevinMcMurtrie wrote:

I see my other reply was deleted so here it is again.

I'm talking about the #1 pinned post in the "Domain Investing" discussion area titled, "Whois Masking - what is changing."

You're completely missing the point about spammers having fake contact info.  Terminating domain names under ICANN's TLDs with falsified information is fast and effective against spammers using distributed botnet hosting.

Anonymous domain name management services are no loophole because they're using e-mail spam filters that recognize spammer hostnames.  Essentially, the management service can't be a valid contact for a spammer's domain because it will reject any e-mails mentioning it.  The domain still gets killed.

Now here's GoDaddy showing only a broken URL in the WHOIS protocol and throwing up lengthy capchas on the web site.  Spammers love services like this that can be abused to keep them online longer.  I have stopped spending money here.

@KevinMcMurtrie It still doesn't make any sense. You can view the full whois of a domain name registered at Godaddy by using their whois service here: https://www.godaddy.com/whois

It took me all of 5 seconds to look up a domain's whois information.

----

New

Hey @KevinMcMurtrie & @justingodfrey,
You guys need to team up!
Kevin will find the spamming websites and Justin can hunt down their info and report them... or maybe a contest between the 2 of you to see how many you can shut down?

Now if only you can start a Patreon or Kickstarter page to do that full time so we can shut down spammers faster that they can start up!!! I’d chip in! 🙂
- Jahnka