cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

MS SQL import problem - no option of import dump.

i have asp.net website, i upload my site now i am trying to import database of Microsoft SQL but there is no option of impot dump for Micro soft sql,,,remamber its Microsoft sql not mysql. as i attach screenshoot,,,no option of impot dump.

Screenshot (482).png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@Bilalkhan56 

While I am not a MS SQL person, masked on my experience, you would do this via the database GUI - I assume that myLitteAdmin is similar to phpMyAdmin so I would think you would do it there. Or if you did an ODBC connection from Access to the SQL server you could do it there.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hello, 

The Import Dump function for MSSQL databases in Plesk is intentionally disabled by our server admins.  

On Plesk, the MSSQL instance is a shared server among multiple users.  The Plesk Import Dump feature will attempt to take permission and security settings from a SQL export and apply them directly to the server.  As this is a shared system, Plesk User logins do not have the correct elevated permissions to make these edits, and the process will ultimately fail.  Further, it allowing security settings from outside systems to be applied to the MSSQL instance could have unexpected results.  Given these items, it is necessary for the feature to remain disabled in our environment.   

However, with this being said, please know that you are still able to import MSSQL backups using tools such as Management Studio.  These types of tools take an existing export/dump and creates scripts to import the schema and data, without affecting the core user permissions.  The article linked below from our help center should assist you with this.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-my-microsoft-sql-server-database-to-plesk-19838

Thank you for your inquiry!

Hello again, 

Thank you for the reply.  I understand you are not moving the database, however the directions are relevant restoring for ANY MSSQL database, regardless of the original source.  

You are correct that you would be able to restore the database from one of your saved SQL files if necessary - I would recommend running through these steps one or two times as practice and preparation for any scenarios that may occur.

In regards to other hosts, the ability to show this functionality would depend on the underlying architecture deployed.  If the MSSQL instance is not shared for example, the risk would be mitigated and the function could be shown (This is the case on our VPS and Dedicated servers).  Additionally, this feature tends to work very well if it is ONLY used for restorations of databases from the exact same Plesk account, however there is no method of limiting our users in what they attempt to restore. A restore attempt from a different originating system may have strong unintended consequences.   

Finally, in regards to the export function showing, but not the import - This function is still a viable way to move your data to a different Plesk account that allows imports.  It is used often by our customers upgrading from a Shared level account, to a VPS or Dedicated server (which are not shared environments, and do not have the same security and configuration level concerns)

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@Bilalkhan56 

While I am not a MS SQL person, masked on my experience, you would do this via the database GUI - I assume that myLitteAdmin is similar to phpMyAdmin so I would think you would do it there. Or if you did an ODBC connection from Access to the SQL server you could do it there.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I have the same problem. I have a MSSQL DB and I can create a dump but cannot restore one. Can it be that one can no longer backup/restore MSSQL DBs on a GoDaddy hosted site with Plesk? Sound absurd. I use to go to Backup Manager - More Actions - Database Backup Repository but it now says this has been depreciated and in no longer available. I have other sites at other hostings that use Plesk where this functionality is still working.

I need to be able to backup/restore my MSSQL databases, HELP!

Hello, 

The Import Dump function for MSSQL databases in Plesk is intentionally disabled by our server admins.  

On Plesk, the MSSQL instance is a shared server among multiple users.  The Plesk Import Dump feature will attempt to take permission and security settings from a SQL export and apply them directly to the server.  As this is a shared system, Plesk User logins do not have the correct elevated permissions to make these edits, and the process will ultimately fail.  Further, it allowing security settings from outside systems to be applied to the MSSQL instance could have unexpected results.  Given these items, it is necessary for the feature to remain disabled in our environment.   

However, with this being said, please know that you are still able to import MSSQL backups using tools such as Management Studio.  These types of tools take an existing export/dump and creates scripts to import the schema and data, without affecting the core user permissions.  The article linked below from our help center should assist you with this.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-my-microsoft-sql-server-database-to-plesk-19838

Thank you for your inquiry!

Since my MS SQL DB already is at my site hosted at GoDaddy the link for moving my DB is not particularly relevant.

It does appear that what GoDaddy is saying regarding Backup/Restore for MS SQL DBs is to use scripts generated in SSMS  to perform this function. To backup my MSSQL DB I would use SSMS to log into DB at GoDaddy and then use the scripting functions to create a .sql script file on my local computer.

To protect against disaster, ie losing my DB with all it's data, I need to do this very frequently, at least daily.

Then if disaster does strike I can restore from one of my saved .sql files, correct?

It was much simpler and more convenient when I could simply backup my DB in Plesk. I can do this backup/restore using Plesk at other hostings, why not GoGaddy?

It would also be a big help if GoDaddy would post a list of all the option settings in SSMS when creating the backup script that are necessary to insure that that everything in the DB is scripted.

also what is the point of having the "Export Dump" if there is no "Import
Dump"

All the best, Jeremy

JEREMY WISE

tf: 877-286-2801 t: 413.530.0806

Dir Research + Development, Reading Success Lab

JeremyWise@ReadingSuccessLab.com

Hello again, 

Thank you for the reply.  I understand you are not moving the database, however the directions are relevant restoring for ANY MSSQL database, regardless of the original source.  

You are correct that you would be able to restore the database from one of your saved SQL files if necessary - I would recommend running through these steps one or two times as practice and preparation for any scenarios that may occur.

In regards to other hosts, the ability to show this functionality would depend on the underlying architecture deployed.  If the MSSQL instance is not shared for example, the risk would be mitigated and the function could be shown (This is the case on our VPS and Dedicated servers).  Additionally, this feature tends to work very well if it is ONLY used for restorations of databases from the exact same Plesk account, however there is no method of limiting our users in what they attempt to restore. A restore attempt from a different originating system may have strong unintended consequences.   

Finally, in regards to the export function showing, but not the import - This function is still a viable way to move your data to a different Plesk account that allows imports.  It is used often by our customers upgrading from a Shared level account, to a VPS or Dedicated server (which are not shared environments, and do not have the same security and configuration level concerns)