cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Needing guidance on flagged files -wordpress

I have recently been notified by godaddy that files on my wordpress site have been flagged.  I've built the site and it has some age to it.  I'm just not familiar with the filework intricacies and not sure what to do with the files.  I would call godaddy and discuss but can't do that currently.  Does anyone have any suggestions for these files?  (flagged)

I don't think there is any options to 'repair' them...only to remove or delete. 

Thanks for your help~chris

rex.str_array_join.001 - html/blurring-as.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/mgbpnlbd.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/oejilkun.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/stats/_indesit.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wordfence-waf_noversion.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-admin/includes/update-core_indesit.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-admin/profile_ver1.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-content/plugins/magic-liquidizer-responsive-table/screenshot-3_ver1.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/a5d4bb81_indesit.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-content/wptouch-data/lang/d0e13c75_old.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-content/wptouch-data/modules/c1ac5276_ver1.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-includes/Requests/Response/Headers_infoold.php

rex.multi_vars.004 - html/wp-includes/SimplePie/Parse/Date_old.php

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Needing guidance on flagged files -wordpress

Hey there @quackycalls 

Based on the file names, I would say that is a malware compromise on your site. You need to do your research and select a malware removal and firewall protection service to stop those. GoDaddy has a pretty good one that is extremely priced that will protect and prevent. I've used it for a few years now and have never had a compromise since. It's the Website Security Deluxe product.

You can go in and delete them on your own, but they will most likely come back. Eventually, your site will get flagged by search engines as being an attack site. The only real way to address this type of issue is to pay for a security expert or a security service.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Hey there @quackycalls 

Based on the file names, I would say that is a malware compromise on your site. You need to do your research and select a malware removal and firewall protection service to stop those. GoDaddy has a pretty good one that is extremely priced that will protect and prevent. I've used it for a few years now and have never had a compromise since. It's the Website Security Deluxe product.

You can go in and delete them on your own, but they will most likely come back. Eventually, your site will get flagged by search engines as being an attack site. The only real way to address this type of issue is to pay for a security expert or a security service.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Thank you Joe. I can't understand why Godaddy offers the website building platform and the hosting, yet doesn't do anything to protect themselves --their servers, -- if one of their website owners such as myself aren't aware of some of the details associated therein.  I was of the thought, that if my vehicle was in their garage during the night I was covered under their insurance.  An obvious flaw I smell here. Oh well...

And although familiar with google's engine rankings, I thought we were above the point of them trashing a site that their techs can read through as being valid.  Lots to learn in this field.

Thanks for your time and for your great explanation. I appreciate your time.  chris

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

The vehicle is a bad analogy as it can not be parked in the garage and driving on the highway at the same time, but your website is on the internet.

Also Google doesn't have techs reading the content of website and deciding that it looks legit.  They have algorithms that look for signs of malware and block those sites so it doesn't spread to their users.

Make sure your own computer is not infected using up-to-date anti-virus/malware, also change your passwords.

Think of Website Protection like an anti-virus for your website.  It is best to use a service like that because it's a very complicated subject, if not handled properly it could come back or even cause more damage.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @quackycalls ,

As site owners we have the responsibility for its security at the primary level.  Whether its a wordpress site or not, having malware and anti-virus protection is required and in most cases something that is a paid option.  This is true of most hosting companies, not just GoDaddy.  

Many of the managed wordpress platforms are now much better about including some degree of security in their  offerings.  However, that is one of the reasons that managed hosting platforms are more expensive.  If you are not on a managed wp plan, you will be 100% in charge of the security for your site.  @MrVapor  gave good advice on the security packages.  Another good one is Defender by WPMUDEV.

The security area is one that many new/casual wordpress owners have been overlooking in the last couple of years.  Wordpress seems so easy, but taking care of these type of details can be such a headache.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

--bad analogy- 'we're on the internet' but the files are stored at godaddy.  All of them.  Isn't that what hosting is all about.  So yes, I was under the impression that they had levels of security built into their system to protect the very files stored under their domain. 

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

It's a bad analogy because that's not how it works.  I'm sorry I guess it is hard to explain.  The garage would be an isolated place where the car wasn't being used for it's intended purpose.  The hosting account is being used for it's intended purpose and it's connected to the internet.

They do have levels of security on the network, but that can not prevent all methods of intrusion.  A service like Website Security looks for security vulnerabilities in your code to help prevent such issues.  An account can also only be as secure as it's password, because if someone is able get this information they can log in as if it were you.

Understood Nate.  Thanks for your input.  Appreciate your honesty. 

chris