• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Coding in GML (Game Maker Language)

I kind of inherited a project for one of my non-profit clients. They had a student volunteer that was coding a game and the project stalled out? Now my client is really excited about having a game so I have decided that I would give making a game a try. The volunteer started coding the game in GameMaker Studio so I also started using it hoping that I could work with the volunteer on the development.

So far the game looks great but if I have to keep coding this the way I am going then I'm going to go crazy else I will get frustrated a quit. The real thing is that I don't like coding in parameters but the GML GUI controls proved to be too simple. Has anyone out there created a game using GameMaker Studio? Anyone got any advice to someone just starting out with GML coding?

I'm not married to using GameMaker Studio if there is any suggestions for better software please let me hear those as well.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

3 REPLIES 3

If I were you, I would not use game maker. It is great for beginners, but is extremely laggy and has limitations. Personally, for beginners to programming, I like processing the most. It is easy to run on the web and uses java, but makes it easy to create a game in seconds.

@ackgames wrote:

If I were you, I would not use game maker. It is great for beginners, but is extremely laggy and has limitations. Personally, for beginners to programming, I like processing the most. It is easy to run on the web and uses java, but makes it easy to create a game in seconds.

Okay, I have read through this several times and I must be missing something? What program or process are you suggesting I use? I'm no beginner to programming but before picking up this project I have never coded a game or used GameMaker before.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Advocate V Advocate V
    Advocate V

No idea how to advise you on this but I really love the creative use of if/then/else in the original post.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.