About .fr domains
afnic.fr is the sponsor and KeySystems is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD).fr extensions that represents France.
Who can register .fr domains?
Anyone can register a .fr domain, however, if the registrant is an organization or company located in France, they must provide the VAT number. If the registrant is a individual, the individual's personal ID number will need to be listed in the VAT field.
Individuals and companies located outside of France will see a trustee service automatically add during check out. These registrations can take up to 72 business hours while the trustee reviews the application.
When registering a .fr domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters: a-z, Numbers: 0-9, Hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .fr domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted on the first day of the month prior to the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal on the 10th of the month and again on the 20th of the month.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 20th of the month prior to the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Recovering expired domain names for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .fr domain name expires on October 10. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 20. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 1, September 10, and September 20.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Not supported
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not supported
- Please reach out to our GoDaddy Guides to request an authorization code.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Not Supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- Cash Parking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- To update the domain's contact information, please contact our GoDaddy Guides.
- Must use: 2-13 authoritive nameservers
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6, DNSSEC
- DNS Validation Tool: Afnic Zonemaster
RefundsFor details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .fr domain, contact our GoDaddy Guides for assistance.