Add a user in my WordPress dashboard
If your WordPress user has Administrator privileges, you can create and add new users to your site. Here's how to add users through the WordPress dashboard.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left-side menu, hover over Users and select Add New.
- Fill in the user details:
- Username: Enter a unique username.
- Email: Enter a valid email address for the user.
- First Name, Last Name and Website: These fields are optional but can be used for additional details.
- (Optional) WordPress will automatically generate a password for the new user. If you’d like to set a new one, next to Password, select Generate password or type into the field below to set a custom one.
- Next to Password, copy the new password and paste it somewhere safe since it won't be displayed in the WordPress dashboard after the user is created.
- (Optional) Ensure that the Send User Notification option is selected if you want to send an email notification to the user upon creation.
- Choose the desired role for the new user:
Note: If you have a multisite installation, there’s an additional role called “Super Admin” that has access to the site network administration features and all other features.
- Subscriber – Can only manage and view their own profile.
- Contributor – Can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.
- Author – Can write, manage, and publish their own posts.
- Editor – Can write, manage, and publish posts, including those of other users.
- Administrator – Has access to all administrative features within a single site.
- Select Add New User.