What if you installed WordPress® in the wrong directory? Don't worry — it happens all the time. If you installed it through your hosting account's control panel, moving it to the correct location is pretty simple.
If you're working with a fresh installation of WordPress — and you haven't added any content — you can simply uninstall and then reinstall the application in the right directory.
To Move Your WordPress Site to a New Directory
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- Click Applications in the Account Snapshot column.
- Under the WordPress account you want to manage, click Actions, and then select Move.
- To install WordPress at the root of your domain, select Use root of my domain (suggested). Otherwise, click Custom directory and enter a destination folder for your site.
NOTE: This root directory of your hosting account is just a fancy way of saying "the directory visitors see when they go to your main domain name."
If you have issues with your site's permalinks after completing these steps, see Fixing Permalink Issues with WordPress.
If you want to move your WordPress site to a different hosting account, see Moving Large WordPress Sites to GoDaddy.