• Buying & Selling Domains

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Burnz42
    New

Do all expiring domains go to auction, or will a single backorder prevent that?

Going by GoDaddy's timeline for expiration for a domain, it says that on Day 26, the expiring domain will be put up for public auction. In the event there is a single backorder (not multiple) on an in-house domain, does that prevent said domain from being put on auction? Or does it always go through at least one public auction no matter what? At what point does a backorder take effect? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    Nate
    Super User I

The backorder credit is active until successful and can be changed to a different domain if you wish.  I believe all domains registered with GoDaddy after May 2, 2005 would go to public auction.  The backorder credit includes $10 towards the auction as well as renewing the domain.

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @Burnz42@Nate is correct. All expired domains will go to auction, regardless of whether or not they have a backorder. If there is a single backorder and no other bids at the auction, then the backorder would go straight to the person that backordered it. 

As for your question about 2005, I'm not sure. Is there a specific domain you're concerned about that was registered prior to that time? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    4 REPLIES 4
    Nate
    Super User I

The backorder credit is active until successful and can be changed to a different domain if you wish.  I believe all domains registered with GoDaddy after May 2, 2005 would go to public auction.  The backorder credit includes $10 towards the auction as well as renewing the domain.

Gotcha, is there a different process for domains registered before May 2nd, 2005?

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @Burnz42@Nate is correct. All expired domains will go to auction, regardless of whether or not they have a backorder. If there is a single backorder and no other bids at the auction, then the backorder would go straight to the person that backordered it. 

As for your question about 2005, I'm not sure. Is there a specific domain you're concerned about that was registered prior to that time? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for the clarification! That makes sense, thank you! And yes, at the time of writing there was a specific domain, but it was renewed so it's no longer applicable. Have a great day!