• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    stambling
    Helper I

CDN and Managed WordPress site load times

This is not a question but more of a tip for other designers struggling with load times.

I work hard to improve the speed of my client sites with all of the usual tips and tricks but still got some dreadful load times on even my simple builds. Also CSS was not loading on sites and icons and such were screwy - it always pointed back to the CDN.

So I did some testing - and by simply turning OFF the CDN - some of my pages went from 12-20 second load times to 3-4 seconds! One went from 9 seconds to 1.4! It also solved all my issues with CSS  and  icons not loading.  

I have 60+ sites, all on Managed WordPress servers and as I go thru and disable the CDN on each - the load time are generally 4 times faster now.   If you are using the CDN, try  disabling it  and see if that improves performance.  I'd love to hear from other    designers if this helped too.

Obviously this  should be looked into by GoDaddy.

3 REPLIES 3
    PZsV
    New

Wow. Loud kudos to you @stambling! I had no idea why my site was painfully slow. And I took it as an axiom that CDN should better load performance...

CDN switched off > site is a lot faster. I agree GoDaddy should investigate..

Thanks!

P

Yeah I'm really starting to understand how all the speed optimization really works. A CDN might be useful for a very graphic heavy site that is seen worldwide for sure. You also need to make sure it is configured correctly with your caching plug-in. But I do have one thing you'll appreciate. I get so much grief from other professional developers over GoDaddy because all they can remember are their old cPanel shared budget servers so they all say it bad hosting. Well I had a speed expert optimize oner of my sites the other day and he asked me who my host was because he said it was some of the best performance he had seen. That made me feel better as I have 60+ sites on Pro WP Servers and I LOVE the Pro dashboard.

Best,

Scott

Scott Tambling | Creative Director
    Desert Digital Design, Ltd.
    (760) 848-7914
    https://desertdigitaldesign.com

[cid:image001.png@01D6DD59.FC318560]
    [cid:image004.png@01D6DD59.FE3F56C0]Click to see what past clients say about my services...
    stambling
    Helper I

Wow.  That  is  potentially exciting news!   What theme are you running @PZsV?  I had the  exact  same string of errors with  CSS and icons etc. not loading .    I'm  hesitant to try again - as  many of my sites are large eCommerce and  anything  related to caching or  loading  seems to cause problems - but will try it for sure.   Cheers