Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    whale8202
    New

HELP... trying to revive lapsed GoDaddy site

There was a hiccup in succession of curators for a GoDaddy hosted web site for a community club.  I have inherited the problem.  I've successfully renewed the domain name before it expired (step 1) but now am perplexed as to how to restore the content.  I have about 20 days before the "grace period" expires iirc.   I'm trying to track down old members of the group to see if anyone knows who created the site with what tools.  The little info I've been able to gather suggests that it was not a referral to an external service provider, but was "all on GoDaddy."  It was also quite old.

If anyone has any idea of where I can start to investigate this, I'd be grateful.  I have heard many tales of waiting on hold for 2 hours and more trying to talk to phone support, so it would be cool if I can get some clues here before resorting to that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@whale8202 

So a couple of things - It looks like you were on Managed WordPress - If your account didn't expire and it's still active you may have to "re-attach" the domain to the site..

Step 1) Goto https://myh.godaddy.com hopefully you will see the site listed there it may currently be showing as ???.???.myftpupload.com

Assuming that is the case you should be able to go into setting and add the domain as primary and the site will be back up and running.

Assuming the site is there once you get the domain reconnected, you should go into WordPress -> Settings->Permalinks->Page Name (I think it is the 2nd to last option) 

Now if the Managed WordPress site is not there meaning the hosting was cancelled in addition to the domain - don't fear all is not lost - you have a couple of options

1) Reach out to GoDaddy support - if it is with 30 days (I think) they "maybe" able to restore (with a fee) from a backup - MAYBE

2) In the case that isn't available - There is a public archive of the site - https://web.archive.org/web/20201030072441/http://whaletowncommunityclub.ca/

While this may not have everything  on the site it would have a good portion of it - Most of the pages seem to be from September of 2020 - You would have to set up a new WordPress site and then copy the content into it.

Regardless of if you are having to rebuild the site or if it is still in Managed WordPress - I have a couple of suggestions

1) Right now many of the pages are "posts or blog entries" this is why you see dates / comment fields on them

2) The site is not using an SSL  - it is a good idea to add this

3) I noticed you take payments - You may want to consider linking the site with a service like stripe.com so that you can take payments through the site.

If you do need help to rebuilt the site (re-install WordPress etc) please use my contact link in my signature as I offer professional services to help with that beyond the free advise / support I provide here in the community.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    PL281
    Super User IV

@whale8202 

What is your domain name? There are a couple of websites which have historical information I can look it up once I have your domain name.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Our domain name was 

http://whaletowncommunityclub.ca/

and we had a fair amount of content which I'd hate to lose.  Photos, text, an interactive calendar.

Many thanks for the offer of help.

@whale8202 

So a couple of things - It looks like you were on Managed WordPress - If your account didn't expire and it's still active you may have to "re-attach" the domain to the site..

Step 1) Goto https://myh.godaddy.com hopefully you will see the site listed there it may currently be showing as ???.???.myftpupload.com

Assuming that is the case you should be able to go into setting and add the domain as primary and the site will be back up and running.

Assuming the site is there once you get the domain reconnected, you should go into WordPress -> Settings->Permalinks->Page Name (I think it is the 2nd to last option) 

Now if the Managed WordPress site is not there meaning the hosting was cancelled in addition to the domain - don't fear all is not lost - you have a couple of options

1) Reach out to GoDaddy support - if it is with 30 days (I think) they "maybe" able to restore (with a fee) from a backup - MAYBE

2) In the case that isn't available - There is a public archive of the site - https://web.archive.org/web/20201030072441/http://whaletowncommunityclub.ca/

While this may not have everything  on the site it would have a good portion of it - Most of the pages seem to be from September of 2020 - You would have to set up a new WordPress site and then copy the content into it.

Regardless of if you are having to rebuild the site or if it is still in Managed WordPress - I have a couple of suggestions

1) Right now many of the pages are "posts or blog entries" this is why you see dates / comment fields on them

2) The site is not using an SSL  - it is a good idea to add this

3) I noticed you take payments - You may want to consider linking the site with a service like stripe.com so that you can take payments through the site.

If you do need help to rebuilt the site (re-install WordPress etc) please use my contact link in my signature as I offer professional services to help with that beyond the free advise / support I provide here in the community.

View solution in original post

@PL281 Thanks for the research and answer.  When I visit myh.godaddy.com, I get a blank white page (under the standard header) then a blink of some info that disappears too fast for me to see it, then back to blank white.  On repeated attempts I manage to see a little of the text, it looks like 3 items, Cpanel hosting, Plesk hosting, and Managed Wordpress.  But none of them stay on the screen.  They disappear as soon as they're rendered.

I'll call goDaddy support first, then start looking into the archival site next.  Your breadcrumbs are much appreciated as I try to find my way out of this maze 🙂