cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

CNAME records aren't working

I am trying to set up a couple CNAME records to point to our time keeping system provider's and our human resources provider's web sites.  So for example, I added a CNAME record for "hr" and pointed it to "www.ktbsonline.com", but it doesn't seem to ever work.  Am I doing something wrong or is what I'm trying to do incorrect? 

Also, I've tried an A record and pointed it to their IP address, but that doesn't seem to work either, besides I'd much rather point to a domain name versus an IP address in the event they ever change their IP address.  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: CNAME records aren't working

@cryansharp 

1) Correct the A record should be 184...... that is the GoDaddy Forwarding server - and there should be no CNAMEs

2) the HR one might just need some propagation time and will start working in the next little bit

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@cryansharp 

What is your domain name??? Also are you only testing from inside a corporate network vs at home / mobile device (not on wifi)

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Our domain name is intelliforce-itsg.com.  I am trying to reach the respective sites via my home computer/browser.  No firewall, no VPN...shouldn't be any reason to be blocked from reaching the sites.  I can reach the sites that I'm trying to point to if I go directly to their URLs.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@cryansharp 

1) If you are linking to a 3rd party site - CNAME is the way to go unless they specifically told you to use an A record as they need to configure their system to accept traffic over that domain.

2) You may have to use the forwarding  / subdomain feature in the GoDaddy DNS as the 3rd party service may not accept traffic via the CNAME

If you change the HR back to a CNAME I can help test it

Highlighted

I have set up the following two CNAME records,

CNAMEhrwww.ktbsonline.com1 Hour
CNAMEtimeintelliforce-itsg.unanet.biz1 Hour
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@cryansharp 

You are going to have to use the forwarding as these systems are configured in such a way with their SSL that the CNAME setup will not work. 

So you will use the Subdomain forwarding in the DNS management and you should be good to go

Highlighted

Thanks! Looks like things are partially working.

Couple things.

1. Looks like setting up those subdomains created A records for me...I should leave those alone, correct?

2. With respect to the two subdomains, the time.intelliforce-itsg.com subdomain forwarding is working like a champ, but the hr.intelliforce-itsg.com isn't.  I push the "Preview" button when setting up the subdomain and it works just fine, but when I try to visit https://hr.intelliforce-itsg.com, I'm not getting there.  Any thoughts?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@cryansharp 

1) Correct the A record should be 184...... that is the GoDaddy Forwarding server - and there should be no CNAMEs

2) the HR one might just need some propagation time and will start working in the next little bit

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks!  I guess patience is a virtue, huh?  🙂