cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Forwarding/ redirection not working for individual posts

Hello, I changed domain from olddomain.com to newdomain.com and set up forwarding with godaddy. Now when anyone types in olddomain.com it forwards to newdomain.com just fine.

But when someone types in olddomain.com/pagename it takes forever and then goes to a 'destination unknown' page.

When someone tries to go to olddomain.com/postname it immediately goes to the 'destination unknown' page. That page looks like this:

Screenshot (42).png

If you click the blue button it does forward you to the new site, but only to the home page.

I now have 100's of pins on pinterest and links around the web to my blog posts going to broken pages!!

How do I fix this?

2 REPLIES 2
Employee
Employee

Re: Forwarding/ redirection not working for individual posts

since the domain that you are forwarding is not actually found on the hosting, you will not be able to go to the direct path of the post using that domain. You would need to actually assign the domain that you're forwarding on the website's hosting.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Forwarding/ redirection not working for individual posts

Hi @meinuk. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! What you're dealing with is actually a limitation of our forwarding service. It does not pass the path of the old URL on to the new URL. There is another thread about this here. As mentioned there, this is something our developers are working to change. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.