Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How do I transfer my domain name from Shopify to GoDaddy?

Hi! 

I have a domain, which I bought from Shopify, while I was hosting my website with them. I've now closed my account with Shopify, and, want to transfer my domain to GoDaddy. I can see my ownership details of my domain in openSRS. And, my domain is now mapped with my website which is hosted by WordPress. Since I have closed my account with Shopify, they don't assist me anymore and, before my domain expires, I want to move to my account with GoDaddy. 

I am not an expert with these matters, so a step-by-step guide, to transfer my domain from OpenSRS to GoDaddy would be truly helpful 

Thanks in advance 

Bobby 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Kaitosai
Former Employee

Hi,
Depending on the domain extension you would first have to tell your GoDaddy account that it is ready for a transfer buy purchasing a domain transfer. Once that happens GoDaddy will be a "Transaction ID" and "Security Code" to the Administrative contact email address you have set for your domain. You will need to login to Openers and request your authorization code. They will either show it to you or email it. Here is a link on that

https://opensrs.com/docs/domain_manager/auth_code.htm

Once you have all three codes make sure you disable privacy at Openers if you have that function enabled an remove the "Domain Lock" at Openers. Once that is complete head into your transfer section of your GoDaddy account and enter in the three codes previously mentioned in this post. The system will validate and state a "Processing Transfer" message if you see that message allow 5 to 7 days for the transfer to complete.

If you have a .co.uk extension, then you would only purchase the domain transfer which is free for those extensions and you would have Openers change an "IPS tag" to "GODADDY" and allow some time for the transfer to happen. With .co.uk transfers it's usually instant once the IPS tag change is made. Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

@BobbySingh, You need to be very sure to transfer the domain at least 2 weeks before it expires. Otherwise you'll likely run into issues. Note that you do not lose any time left on your the domain registration, and transferring to another host/registrar merely extends it by another year.

2 REPLIES 2
Kaitosai
Former Employee

Hi,
Depending on the domain extension you would first have to tell your GoDaddy account that it is ready for a transfer buy purchasing a domain transfer. Once that happens GoDaddy will be a "Transaction ID" and "Security Code" to the Administrative contact email address you have set for your domain. You will need to login to Openers and request your authorization code. They will either show it to you or email it. Here is a link on that

https://opensrs.com/docs/domain_manager/auth_code.htm

Once you have all three codes make sure you disable privacy at Openers if you have that function enabled an remove the "Domain Lock" at Openers. Once that is complete head into your transfer section of your GoDaddy account and enter in the three codes previously mentioned in this post. The system will validate and state a "Processing Transfer" message if you see that message allow 5 to 7 days for the transfer to complete.

If you have a .co.uk extension, then you would only purchase the domain transfer which is free for those extensions and you would have Openers change an "IPS tag" to "GODADDY" and allow some time for the transfer to happen. With .co.uk transfers it's usually instant once the IPS tag change is made. Hopefully this helps!

@BobbySingh, You need to be very sure to transfer the domain at least 2 weeks before it expires. Otherwise you'll likely run into issues. Note that you do not lose any time left on your the domain registration, and transferring to another host/registrar merely extends it by another year.