cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Is GoDaddy hacked or selling my information?

I purchased a domain with the privacy settings.  Today I received an email directed to my private email account associated with it from a marketer congratulating me for registering the .US version of that domain (which I did not do), and does not show up on my list of registered domains.

I can only conclude that GoDaddy is unsafe or is selling my information.  Does anyone else have any ideas that could cause this?

1 REPLY 1
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Is GoDaddy hacked or selling my information?

@nobodyspecial wrote:

I purchased a domain with the privacy settings.  Today I received an email directed to my private email account associated with it from a marketer congratulating me for registering the .US version of that domain (which I did not do), and does not show up on my list of registered domains.

I can only conclude that GoDaddy is unsafe or is selling my information.  Does anyone else have any ideas that could cause this?

@nobodyspecial No, this is known as whois harvesting. Godaddy has taken multiple steps to ensure the privacy of your contact information whether you've purchased privacy or not. If you do have privacy on your domain the admin email would look something like example.com@domainsbyproxy.com. If a scammer or anyone else for that matter were to send an email to that address it would be forwarded to your account email so basically its just being forwarded to you and the scam/spammer hasn't seen your information.

---