Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, August 4th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to cancel private registration

Hello - I need to move a couple of my domains out from GoDaddy and over to another registrar.  Everytime I try to do so, I get an error message by email that says: Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means).

I am able to initiate the transfer process and I correctly receive authentication codes to do so.

Furthermore, I have disabled domain privacy and disabled the domain lock/protection (and the WHOIS record shows my personal information to prove that privacy has been removed). Nonetheless, I keep getting the above error message as well as a second email from GoDaddy that they are denying the transfer request as I need to remove privacy first, despite already having done so. 

I also tried following the procedure as described here, thinking the issue is as such:  https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-private-registration-1625 and I do not even have this option available to me to cancel private registration as per the described screenshots. 

I have tried both enabling and disabling 2-step verification and it is the same result each time.  I suspect that maybe it is because I am an EU resident and my privacy settings are enabled by default - but if this was the case then my personal details should not be visible in the WHOIS look up, suggesting that GDPR is not properly implemented here. 

Has anybody else had any similar issues. How can I go about transfering out these domains in such circumstances?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TLH

Hi @IntrasymTech,

There are three steps that are usually needed in order to transfer a  .COM away from GoDaddy.

1. Remove Protection and/or Privacy
  2. Unlock the domain for transfer
  3. Obtain Authorization Code

The message you are receiving (Express written objection...) usually indicates that the privacy is still in place. If you have since removed that barrier, the domain transfer process will not restart automatically. You will need to re-initiate the transfer at the gaining registrar (where you are moving it). Please contact that registrar for instructions on how to take this action again. Once the request to transfer is made there, it is sent to the Registry for the domain (Verisign, for a .COM), then will change the status at GoDaddy for your quick approval of the transfer

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PL281
Super User IV

@IntrasymTech 

I would attempt these steps to see if it will remove the private registration

Step 1) Go to https://dcc.godaddy.com 
Step 2) Manage Domain
Step 4) Click Manage Protection https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/somedomain.com/domainprotection (sorry if the last piece of the URL is wrong - I was doing it from memory)
Step 5) Click Domain Settings at top of page
Step 6) Click remove and acknowledge button - now it works
I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hello - thanks a lot for this.  However unfortunately this has been what I have been doing all along, but without success. Step # 5 - there is no "Domain Settings" option at the top of the page - it is as if Go Daddy has removed this functionality. Thanks again for your help, but I remain hopeful that I will be pointed in the right direction.  I was on the phone with them this morning for over an hour to resolve this, but to no resolution.

@IntrasymTech 

The domain settings is a text link near th top - I found this was the only way I was able to get it remove

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

ValerieR
Employee

Hi @IntrasymTech :

Thanks for reaching out. A few possibilities that could be giving you roadblocks in transferring your domains out include:

*how long ago was domain registered?

*the domain ending ( tld/cctld) could also have special requirements for transferring out 

Are these domains under some else's name too?  

Sales and Support available 24/7 via phone or chat

Hello - Thank you for your response.  The domains are in some cases a few years old, while a couple of the others are about 6 months old.  They are all .com TLDs.  Domain ownership names have not changed in the last 60 days neither.  Thanks again for your help. 

Thank you, @IntrasymTech for the information.  The only thing I can think of, which was also not answered, is about the original domain contact info for ownership.  Since I don't have access to the tools needed to dig deeper, please call into customer support again for assistance.   

Sales and Support available 24/7 via phone or chat
TLH

Hi @IntrasymTech,

There are three steps that are usually needed in order to transfer a  .COM away from GoDaddy.

1. Remove Protection and/or Privacy
  2. Unlock the domain for transfer
  3. Obtain Authorization Code

The message you are receiving (Express written objection...) usually indicates that the privacy is still in place. If you have since removed that barrier, the domain transfer process will not restart automatically. You will need to re-initiate the transfer at the gaining registrar (where you are moving it). Please contact that registrar for instructions on how to take this action again. Once the request to transfer is made there, it is sent to the Registry for the domain (Verisign, for a .COM), then will change the status at GoDaddy for your quick approval of the transfer

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post