cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

file not found (404 error)

I have a site which runs till 17th December 2017. However, when I try to access the website now, it throws up a file not found (404 error). Godaddy says the site is up and running. However it does not seem to help. Can someone help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Trying not to over complicate things the domain simply directs visitors to the hosting account.  There is a database for all domains for any given extension (.com .net etc.) so visitors can just type in the much easier to remember web address (like yourname.com) and the computer looks up the much harder to remember IP address for them (like 123.456.78.90).

What did you use to build the website?  Some of the website products and services include the appropriate hosting with the plan (like Website Builder, WordPress...).

View solution in original post

Hi @SayWhat65,

Welcome to the Community!

Though the nameservers on the domain are directed to us, we're not seeing any hosting for that domain within our system. You may wish to review your account or call support at one of the numbers below to see what's happening on your hosting plans. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @zubinjoysaini,

it would be easier to help if you mentioned your domain name thanks................

Thank you. The domain name is shrooti.in

Retired
Not applicable

Hi @zubinjoysaini,

what kind of site are you running? 

Make sure the homepage has a default file name and is uploaded to the root directory.

What's a default file name?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-file-displays-when-someone-browses-to-my-domain-name-60

What's a root directory?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-my-websites-root-directory-16187

Ok, so is buying the domain name not the same as hosting it? I don't see hosting option on my login. Do I need to get hosting rights separately? 

The thing is: I had not bought hosting earlier also, and the site was running fine. Is it that there is a 3 month period till which the site runs? 

Trying not to over complicate things the domain simply directs visitors to the hosting account.  There is a database for all domains for any given extension (.com .net etc.) so visitors can just type in the much easier to remember web address (like yourname.com) and the computer looks up the much harder to remember IP address for them (like 123.456.78.90).

What did you use to build the website?  Some of the website products and services include the appropriate hosting with the plan (like Website Builder, WordPress...).

When I search for my domain, I get File not found (404 error).  my domain is davidsplaintalk.com

Hi @SayWhat65,

Welcome to the Community!

Though the nameservers on the domain are directed to us, we're not seeing any hosting for that domain within our system. You may wish to review your account or call support at one of the numbers below to see what's happening on your hosting plans. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support