cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate II Advocate II
Advocate II

Buying a Domain name and Hosting for a client

Hey everyone! I was wondering what the best way to do this was.

I have plenty of clients but never have I had one that literally "Does not want anything to do with purchasing the domain and hosting" because he has no idea what hes doing.

He doesnt even have a GoDaddy account.. nor does he want to "or know how" to make one...

What the best way for me to get his domain registered and set up without him lifting a finger? Do I create an account under his name? Or do I buy it on my own account? I have no idea. is there a "buying for client" option on godaddy pro that im missing?

P.S He's well aware that im just going to bill him for what everything costs plus a little extra for my time. He seems like the (lazy rich type)

CEO of Antbuilt, LLC
7 REPLIES 7
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Buying a Domain name and Hosting for a client

One option is to get him to at least make a godaddy account then manage it via godaddy pro.

Other option is to buy the host and domain then chage him monthly/annually for it
~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

What we did was create a bucket of sorts and we throw all of our client purchased domains in there. Regardless of when a domain is purchased we push to the closer of two dates (April 13 and October 13) so that we only invoice on those dates when the client domain is up for renewal.

I'm going to go off on a limb and say that you don't want to be responsible to invoice a client for a single domain as that can quickly become unmanageable. When dealing with clients who depend on you to do everything I don't like to create them individual account because that means that they get the notifications and that can create issues. Additionally why create an account where you are the primary person that manages it? To a client you are the expert, what they pay for is your expert service.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Advocate III Advocate III
Advocate III

I prefer to have the hosting/domain registration in my client's name rather than mine.

With GoDaddy Managed WordPress Hosting plans there is no easy way to move a site from my account to another's (in spite of what tech support tells you, in at least a half-dozen attempts as recently as 2 weeks ago, the migration script does NOT work going from GDMWPH to GDMWPH, even if you use sftp://(ip address) in the script input form. I've always had to resort to manual migration.

So until that's fixed, the best method I've found is to create a new GD account with my name and credit card, set up the website in that account, and then sometime later edit the administrator information for that account to make the client the owner name, address, credit card, etc. and remove my information from that account.

They still have to take responsibility for keeping the credit card info up to date for auto-renewal of the hosting and domain, but that's about it.

WordPress Coach & Consultant
Super User I

@hartsook wrote:

I prefer to have the hosting/domain registration in my client's name rather than mine.

So a client gets their wallet or purse stolen. Anyone that has had anything stolen knows the feeling of that and how much of a bear it can be to deal with. Maybe it's not that bad, maybe they just lost their wallet/purse while on vacation which can also be a lot to deal with. No worries though because they call and get the card cancelled and life of course goes on. Now it is 2016 and what happened in 2015 is a distant memory but its time for their renewal. You set it to auto bill but that card has been cancelled. Did they remember to call and tell you? Did you remember to login to their account and check to make sure everything is okay with billing? You have a hundred customers how could you keep up with all of those separate renewal dates?

No worries though because if you forget AND the customer forgets the ball doesn't hit the ground. The email address gets notifications starting 90 days out with reminders. Your customer didn't know enough to create their own account so they probably don't check their spam folder? If they do check or they get those reminders in their main inbox to they know what to do? Do they call you? Do they call support? Do they ignore the many requests that come into their inbox in increasing increments? Did you make the email address your own or one that you manage? Did you happen to remember yet to check what upcoming renewals you have from sales you made in 2015?

Now it is a month since the renewal was due and your client thinks "My resolution was to really get my business going this year." and they go to their domain only to see a parked page. Now they call you "What happened to my domain?", "Where is my website?" You login and check it out only to find in horror that the website is gone and the domain is in jail. What do you do? Who does the client blame? Can you restore their website? When was your last backup? Who will get the domain out of jail? Who covers the domain bond cost? Now imagine you had clients to do multiple year renewals, some three, some five, some ten. How do you remember all of that? How does a client remember when their website has been chugging along just fine for years and years?

That scenario has sadly happened to us in the past and that is why we have the system we do now. We purchase the domains, we manage the accounts and we get the notifications for clients who require that attention. There are clients who don't need us to handle that, they assume the responsibility and we are fine with that. There are clients who can handle their own but take a "What did we hire you for?" approach and that is fine with us as well.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Advocate II Advocate II
Advocate II

Awesome replies! 

Two different approaches.... hmmmm.

CEO of Antbuilt, LLC
Super User I

Just a quick update on this to square the circle or round the edges... Kudos to GoDaddy for implementing the GoDaddy Pro program! Many of the issues in my initial post are resolved by managing your customers using GoDaddy Pro. I truly appreciate the ease of handling cart contents, monitoring websites and much more. I don't know that GoDaddy Pro is the answer to every issue but it sure does ease the burden of client purchases and management. Yay to only logging into your account and being able to access your clients from your dashboard! 

Helper II

Simple. Handle everything for him. Bill him. Enjoy spending his money.