• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Reseller API does not support .au domains?

I have been experimenting with the Reseller API and it appears that neither the "list of TLDs" nor the "suggest domains" or "get TLD schema" APIs actually support/include the .au TLDs for some reason?

I can check availability for a .com.au domain - that seems to work anyway

Anyone know if this is intentional? I'm using the Test API endpoints.

5 REPLIES 5
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: Reseller API does not support .au domains?

Hello @richardhauer,

Unfortunately not every TLD is available in the Reseller API. Most often this is due to restrictions on selling certain TLDs. Every TLD seems to have different requirements, authorized agents, vendors, rules and other hoops in selling their domains. For .AU domains you should also note that you must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) before you register a .au domain. Any domainer selling .AU domains probably requires the the ability to check and enforce that rule? Check out About .au Domains for more details. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Well as it happens, I'm an Australian businesses, in Australia, selling to other Australians. Also, there are web services provided by the government that allow me to validate ABNs. And yet now I need an additional domain reseller account specifically to handle .au domains that will, in all probability, be the majority for me.

Shame huh.
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

I can't say for sure that there is an extra qualification or something that would allow you to sell .au domains using the GoDaddy API but there should be? I have seen this kind of issue with .ca and .in domains so I am relatively positive there is a solution. I'd call in and check if I were you. Certainly don't want want to miss out on those sales since they will likely be the bulk of domains you sale. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Solution

For anyone visiting here looking for information, it turns out that the .AU administrators, auDA, have strict controls on who can register a .com.au domain that requires each individual registrar be certified in a non-trivial process. 

While GoDaddy, and others, can provide .com.au domain registration, they are not allowed to proxy that to downstream users via API.

This setup presumably applies to other country TLDs as well, and not just Australia.  Anyone living here won't be terribly surprised to hear this kind of stupid bureaucracy is alive and well in Australia.

@richardhauer wrote:

Anyone living here won't be terribly surprised to hear this kind of stupid bureaucracy is alive and well in Australia.

LOL yeah no kidding!!

Mate i was just looking over this post. I have signed up for the reseller pro. I want to customise the storefront. And the wordpress plugin doesn't import all the products, so I am trying to find alternatives. 

I know this post is old, but any chance you have this setup with a custom website etc?