Change an MX record
You can edit your MX (Mail Exchanger) records in your DNS zone file at any time. Making changes to your MX records may interrupt your email service temporarily.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Under Additional Settings, select Manage DNS.
- On the DNS Management page, select the pencil icon next to the MX record you need to edit.
Note: A domain can only use one email service at a time. For example, you can use Microsoft 365 or Google email on a domain, but you can't use both email services on the same domain.
- Edit the details for your MX record:
- Host: The domain or subdomain for the MX record. Most mail servers will use @ for the host, but you can also use a subdomain, such as www or mail.
- Points to: The mail server's address, such as smtp.secureserver.net.
- Priority: The order in which the record is evaluated and used. Lower priorities will be read before higher priorities.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Save to save your changes.
Please allow up to 48 hours for your changes to take full effect globally.
- Confirm your MX records are setup correctly by sending yourself a test email. Remember, DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to take effect.
- Delete or add an MX record at any time.