Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
treisto
New

Auto-renewal canceled on domain privacy. No way to revert, no refund.

Why after disabling auto-renew for 2 of my domains, full domain privacy was also turned off, without any prior warning?!

Is this a way to boost sales, by shoving auto-renew onto the throats of the clients as a condition to get domain privacy, and even more, removing privacy without any warning in case of auto-renewal cancellation?!

I had 1 more year of domain privacy for each of my 2 sites. Which went to trash. Without any warning . WHY?

Chat for half an hour with no result. Support can't put privacy back and can't refund me. Basically I have to purchase again privacy either because of a bug in their system, or because of poor/careless UI design (no warning about removing privacy during the process of auto-renewal cancellation), or because of malicious behaviour from GoDaddy (this feels like money have been forcefully snatched out of my wallet)

This strategy can boost sales only if the majority of the clients do not care, in my opinion.

Myself will be going asap, if I can't find a way to get my privacy back for the 2 sites for free.

And if I wanna make a complaint, there is no way to file a formal complaint?! So what does this means?  GoDaddy doesn't care at all ? It became too big to care ? Is it time to go to a smaller register which pays more attention to their clients ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@treisto  GoDaddy now includes free basic privacy protection with most, if not all, domains.  The full protection includes domain ownership protection which locks the domain at the registry level and makes it harder to lose the domain by accident or malicious attack (transfer, delete, expire, change contact details, etc.).  Auto-renewal is one of the safety nets to keep the domain in your account, you can still manually renew ahead of time which should negate the auto-renewal from processing.  With ownership protection there's an additional layer after that if it's not manually renewed and auto-renewal fails you would get extended time and ability to resolve the situation beyond the basic protection.

I am wondering if you would see value in a level between basic and full protection.  What features should it have and how much should it cost?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TLH

Hi @treisto,

We're sorry to hear you've had a tough time in your account. The users in this community forum have no access to your account to enable privacy or the ability to provide a refund. The design of the full privacy and protection prevents anyone but the registrant/owner from removing this feature. GoDaddy and their agents are not able to remove this for you. If the domain had already expired without renewal, the privacy would be removed for non-payment at that time. Upon renewal, it would have to be elected for again. If the privacy was removed within 30 days after domain renewal, you could be eligible for a refund.

If anyone else has access to your account that may have taken this action, we recommend changing your password and enabling 2-step verification on the account. If you want someone to review the issue and re-establish the privacy, you may request a supervisor on the Customer Care Call or Chat. They'll be able to listen to your complaint and take a look at the situation to determine what your options are.

GoDaddy has phone support available at the numbers here: x.co/247support. If calling isn't an option for you, please try the live chat available Monday-Friday from 5am-6pm Arizona time (MST) on the US/English home page (https://www.godaddy.com/help/contact-us).

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

Hi @TLH , many thanks for your answer!

I'll start again slowly, I was too nervous last time.

Events sequence:

1) I l(myself, and no one else) logged in into my Godaddy account

2) I initiated request to remove the "auto-renew" option for 2 of my domains

3) Godaddy sends 2 X 2FA verification codes to verify it's me in order to complete my request

4) I enter the 2 codes -> "auto-renew" is removed for the 2 sites, all SEEMS good

5) HOWEVER just after a few seconds, I receive 2 emails saying that some products were removed from my account

6) I verify my account and I learn that not only the "auto-renew" was removed for the 2 sites, but also "full domain privacy"

NOTE: There was absolutely no explicit warning that "full domain privacy" would be removed also, if I remove the "domain auto-renew" option. 

COMMENTS

1) I'm sorry I don't like the "auto-renew" option. I just don't. But I like the full domain privacy option. Why can't we have full domain privacy without auto-renew?! I see no technical reasons possible, just marketing to push sales

2) Is it a bug that full domain privacy was removed altogether with the auto renew option, or if not, I just can't stop wondering why there is no explicit warning that full domain privacy is automatically removed if one removes the auto-renew option?

3) Even if losing full domain privacy for the 2 sites is the result of my own action, i.e. the action of removing auto-renew option, I argue that no explicit warning was given during the process,  to warn me that also the full domain privacy will be removed altogether with the auto-renew option

4) As such I think it is just fair and legitimate to consider that this is GoDaddy's fault, i.e. poor UX and UI design and/or software bug, hence I think I am right to expect either the lost products back, or a refund for their value

5) Again I consider of "bad taste" to link the 2 products, and moreover, on top of this to have a buggy or poor designed UI/UX which sends no proper warnings

6) support chat was useless; couldn't help; to re-establish privacy back, couldn.t help with a refund. Moreover, in the beginning, even them couldn't conceive that privacy could be removed altogether with auto-renew. The guy had to talk to his peers to confirm this. So, this behaviour is so hidden that not even support people are not aware of it?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

1) the support chat has no option to attach files/screenshots. Thumb down

2) this community forum page loads very very slow in western europe

One of the domains was renewed on 31 March and the other on 23 February.

So if it is as you say, I may be, by default, eligible for a refund for at least the one renewed on 31 March. However because it was not my fault I expect either both "full domain privacy" for the 2 domains back for free, or a refund for both of them. Anybody from GoDaddy tech team can verify that there is no warning given concerning "full privacy" removal when one cancels auto-renew for a domain

@treisto  GoDaddy now includes free basic privacy protection with most, if not all, domains.  The full protection includes domain ownership protection which locks the domain at the registry level and makes it harder to lose the domain by accident or malicious attack (transfer, delete, expire, change contact details, etc.).  Auto-renewal is one of the safety nets to keep the domain in your account, you can still manually renew ahead of time which should negate the auto-renewal from processing.  With ownership protection there's an additional layer after that if it's not manually renewed and auto-renewal fails you would get extended time and ability to resolve the situation beyond the basic protection.

I am wondering if you would see value in a level between basic and full protection.  What features should it have and how much should it cost?

View solution in original post

Hi @treisto,

The automatic renewal is part of the way a domain is protected from loss in a GoDaddy account. When you removed it, you removed that expiration protection along with the privacy. You can't separate auto-renewal from the protective nature of that very renewal. It is a package of protection for our domain holders, not a "marketing push". 

There is no bug in the system, as you are clearly asked prior to removal "Yes, I consent to remove Protection for the selected domain(s)". GoDaddy takes the protection of domains very seriously and has multiple approvals that can only be done by the customer. And it is the customers' responsibility to mange their domains. Your only option is to contact customer support to refund any cancellations that were done within 30 days of renewal or purchase. You can apply that credit to the purchase of Full Protection or just Privacy. 

godaddy.com/contact-us

I am forced to open a new thread/topic because someone else (maybe an admin) accepted a solution to my previous thread instead of me ??

So in this post I am replying to 

https://in.godaddy.com/community/Account-Management/Auto-renewal-canceled-on-domain-privacy-No-way-t...

It has been said by @TLH that users are warned that "full privacy protection " will be removed altogether with "auto-renew" if the "auto-renew" option is removed from a domain.

This is true from a technical point of view (there a broad warning given) but it is completely incorrect from a user point of view, because the warning text is not explicit, the average user has no chance to really grasp what that text means. Below I add the text with copy-paste and a screenshot, to finish this argument:

"By turning off auto-renew, you risk losing your domain and associated products if you don’t renew by the expiration date.

Yes, I consent to disabling auto-renew on the selected domain(s)."

I am sorry but I don't see the words "full domain privacy" in this text.

And, even if there was, it would have been invalidated by the condition that follows the statement: "if you don’t renew by the expiration date".  This is because the respective domains have been freshly renewed just a few weeks ago !

I still think this is Godaddy's fault - poor UX / UI design.

The below warning is too vague, it doesn't reach the scope.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 10.39.34.png

And concerning the link between "full domain privacy" and "auto-renew" option:

I am a VERY old customer of GoDaddy. I used these options since many years ago and they were not coupled. This link was introduced a few years ago.

From a PURE technical point of view there is no need to link them.

Who wants even more protection can turn on auto-renew themselves.

I keep my opinion that linking these is an artificial marketing stunt under the excuse of "user protection".

GoDaddy traded flexibility here and for me personally this is a huge disadvantage; as said who wants more protection can add "auto-renew" themselves on top of "domain privacy". Why forcing me to get auto-renew when all I want is to have this "domains by proxy" address-text next to my domain if someone searches for my domain?

For above reasons :

- I still believe these 2 products should be added again to may domains for free by GoDaddy, or refunded.

- I really think Godaddy should make this warning more explicit , at least

- The best option would be to decouple domain privacy from auto renew

- alternative solution below in reply to Nate

@Nate 

Unfortunately I can't respond or write anything on that thread because for some reason seems closed?

So I will answer here:

Thank you for your answer, I do see value in such an intermediary value :

"I am wondering if you would see value in a level between basic and full protection.  What features should it have and how much should it cost?"

I am not sure what "full protection" means now at GoDady, maybe it includes the concept of automatic domain renewal? If this is the case, an intermediary level should do exactly what full protection does but without the link to auto-renew. I mean I would like to have the "domains by proxy" address-text when someone searches for my domain, that's it; and this should be a separate option decoupled from "auto-renew". And I don't mind if it costs exactly the same as "full protection"  costs today.

Hi @treisto,

No one in this Community is able to access your account or restore any privacy to your domains. We're also not able to change GoDaddy policy or procedure over the implementation and your removal of any privacy or protection feature. That is why the previous post was closed. You will need to contact GoDaddy Customer Care for any further action in your account or on your billing. 

Thank you very much @Nate , @TLH , I understood no one can help me here.

What piece of valuable info you gave me and maybe it will help eventually, is tu try and talk to a supervisor.

The below is more like rhetorical speaking

I just wonder, is GoDaddy an American company? 

I always thought it is..

Americans are renowned for super customer service.

To me it is strange that GoDaddy does not have any backwards feed from customers to them. Even the biggest giant of the giants has built-in into Windows a "Feedback" service. Normally I would have expected a feedback, suggestions, complaints service, a ticketing system with ticket # for the support service, and more from GoDaddy .... Letting aside that the Indian guy at support was totally overwhelmed, he had no idea what was he talking about ...

If this thread will still be open, I will come back with the result from GD Supervisor, for whoever may find himself in a similar situation in the future and stumbles upon this thread

JesseW
Community Manager

I wanted to share some information here for added clarity. When a domain has Domain Ownership Protection (included with Full Domain Privacy), this is the first thing you'll see if you attempt to cancel automatic renewal (highlight is mine):

JesseW_0-1618864742280.png

If you click "Verify and Cancel Renewal", this will later be followed up with this warning:

JesseW_1-1618865704363.png

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.