Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

can't delete payment method

i want to delete my payment method but i cant even i  cancel renewal domains

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @abellaismail,

Thanks for posting. A payment method cannot be removed if it is associated with an active product, even if auto renew is disabled. If you want to remove your payment method you will need to add an alternate payment method for your active products or delete the products. Hope that helps!

Lisi - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @abellaismail,

Thanks for posting. A payment method cannot be removed if it is associated with an active product, even if auto renew is disabled. If you want to remove your payment method you will need to add an alternate payment method for your active products or delete the products. Hope that helps!

Lisi - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

apparently, you can't delete a payment method, even if GoDaddy has the wrong choices selected.  For example: I had originally set up my account to auto-renew using PayPal Credit, but GoDaddy inexplicably changed it to PayPal regular, then allegedly my domains all expired (even after they successfully charged PayPal for each and every renewal) so they then forced me to add a bank account to debit directly, which they refused to acknowledge and then forced me to charge PayPal, which went through, but they claimed it didn't, so they finally resolved the issue after I added a credit card and charged the amount to the credit card, pushing me over my limit.  After I called them and complained about the double billing, they told me that if I reversed the charges on the double-billed accounts, they would terminate my account and force me to wait 90 days until I could re-apply for my own domain names, even though they were STILL valid for two years... all because their website is not working properly.  In other words, their position is "Ha ha! We got your money! Go **bleep** yourself! That's what you get for being a loyal customer for eight years!"

Hi @phantasyconcept,

Thanks for posting. Your products will auto renew with the payment method that is associated with the product, it sound like your PayPal regular was attached to the product. You can change it within your account following these steps. You also stated that you went and renewed your items with your credit card after you were charged to your regular PayPal. Unfortunately, domain renewals can't be reversed so they cannot refund you for the initial charge unless the domain is canceled. Hope that helps clarify things.

Godaddy keeping my payment details without my consent, it is against data privacy law. 

If I want to make a payment, I do so. If I don't, my domain expires by choice. They are sending enough reminder mails.

This is truly bullying. 

I am going move all my domains to somewhere else and file complain to ico.org.uk!

Why should it is like this ? I should have control over it. If I want to control my payment methods, it shouldn't be forced.

Hi @naveedas92. Thanks for your feedback. Having a payment method on file is only required if you have active products. There are various reasons why this is required. The most obvious is it makes it easier for you to keep products active. However, you can still turn off automatic renewal any time using these instructions

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

"There are various reasons why this is required."

Please provide a list of the reasons why this is required.

As I understand it, payment details should be kept on file where there is an expectation of a purchase been made - such as in an autorenewal scenario.  Where autorenewal is disabled, there is no reason to keep payment details.  The products have been purchased and the consumer should have the right to either have their details kept on file for future purchases or not.

As this is GoDaddy policy, and as there are various reasons why it is so, then the least GoDaddy can do is document their reasons.

Community Manager

@MarkB1 - Thanks for your question. I understand your frustration. You can always review our legal agreements page for further details. Beyond that, I can’t interpret our terms of service but here are a few reasons I can think of:

• If you forget your PIN, a payment method can often be a second method of validating your access to an account. 
  • It helps GoDaddy verify that you are a real person and not simply a bot. 
  • It provides accountability that products and services will be used legally and in line with our Terms of Service. 

I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

That is a horrible policy. I'm deleting my account asap.