cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring a domain between other registrars

My domain name is about to expire as well as my hosting. I plan on moving from ecowebhosting who I registered my domain and hosting with, and would like to use namecheap for my domain and host my website on digital ocean.

How would one normally handle domain transfer and renewal? Wait until my domain expires and then re-register it with namecheap? Transfer it over before it expires and then renew a couple days later?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User III

It is best to transfer the domain before it expires to ensure you never lose control of the domain.  For most domains the transfer fee includes a year extension and that adds to any time you've already paid (up to 10 years).  First you would unlock the domain and get an authorization code, then purchase a transfer and input the code at the other registrar.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-away-from-godaddy-3560

View solution in original post

Hi @aswarola8,

Welcome to the Community!

The previous reply from @Nate is correct, as you should transfer while the domain is still active. However, as you are planning to transfer from one 3rd-party provider to another, you will need to contact those companies for instruction or information on how to complete these transfers. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III

It is best to transfer the domain before it expires to ensure you never lose control of the domain.  For most domains the transfer fee includes a year extension and that adds to any time you've already paid (up to 10 years).  First you would unlock the domain and get an authorization code, then purchase a transfer and input the code at the other registrar.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-away-from-godaddy-3560

Hi @aswarola8,

Welcome to the Community!

The previous reply from @Nate is correct, as you should transfer while the domain is still active. However, as you are planning to transfer from one 3rd-party provider to another, you will need to contact those companies for instruction or information on how to complete these transfers. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support