cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring to GoGaddy (Not my account)

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this, the email I received from GoDaddy is not at all helpful.

I am transferring a domain away from my current registrar based upon a request from the new owner-to-be. The email I received from GoDaddy advises me to login to my account, provides a Transaction ID and Security Code. I have received my EPP key from my current registrar and unlocked the domain.

I have looked through the help file regarding transferring domains to GoDaddy, and it only tells me how to initiate a transfer, which I do not want. Another person has initiated the transfer, and I just want to allow the transfer. I'm not even sure why I would need to login into my GoDaddy account, because as noted, I am not the one initiating the transfer.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Transferring to GoGaddy (Not my account)

I think I just found the answer, but uncovered a new problem!

There is a little button (tiny thing) on the Pending Transfers page, which is called "Authorize Transfer", clicking this results in a popup, which asks for "Transfer Codes". You then need to click the button marked, "Add Transfer Code". This then produces another popup, with two text input fields for the Transaction ID and Security Code.

I entered the Transaction ID and Security Code, and clicked on the Add button, but then I got a "Transaction ID is invalid" error, I have double-checked the Transaction ID, but it still fails with the same error. Not sure how I'm going to get around this problem.

I suspect this "Authorize Transfer" button is for when you are transferring a domain name name into your account, so it seems odd that I have been sent the Transaction ID and Security Code when I'm not the one who initiated the transfer!

I really have no clue how to approve this transfer request.

Solution

So what I have done is sent the EPP key to the new domain owner, and I'm ignoring the email from GoDaddy, perhaps he can re-initiate the transfer request.

Hi @receptivedesign,

If they are doing a transfer, they will need all 3 codes: The Transaction ID and Security Code from us and the Authorization Code from the current registrar for use in their GoDaddy account (the one they bought the transfer request in).

See: https://www.godaddy.com/help/authorize-my-domain-name-transfer-to-godaddy-23874

I hope that helps,
Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support