cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Go Daddy lost my website

So I just learned today that GoDaddy, who was hosting my law firm's website, lost it last week.  It was working on Friday, we were accessing it, and now it is completely gone and there is no backup for it.  I can't get any help or answers from GoDaddy.  Very frustrating.  GoDaddy takes no responsibility for the website not working and is no help.  Beware.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Go Daddy lost my website

@TDFinchum 

On GoDaddy's cPanel servers, they do not have backups - they sometimes have recovery backups which maybe a few days or a few weeks old - you may want to reach out to support to find out if there was a recovery copy available so you aren't starting from scratch. 

Once you do get back up and running I suggest using a Backup plugin that allows you to download the backup or automatically send it to S3, Dropbox or some other Cloud storage 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@TDFinchum 

Having been with GoDaddy and other hosting companies over the years.... I can count on one hand how many times this has happened (with other providers as well).....

The thing to remember is you are dealing with technology and technology can fail - Personally I am on a Mac and backup to to TimeMachine, but then I also have a CrashPlan (cloud based) as well just so if anything happens to my own computer I have multiple ways to restore it..... web hosting is no different - and unless you specifically pay for backup services, most providers do not provide backups. 

As I mentioned there maybe a recovery copy of the site - for example if your account expired and you wanted to get it back (with a restore fee) that they may have, but it is more there as a courtesy.

I had a VPS with a hardware failure over a year ago, they were able to restore the account to the Monday of that week - this happened on Thursday. Fortunately I had offsite backups so I only lost a few hours of data if that.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TDFinchum 

We are end users like you. 

This seems strange....

1) What type of site was it - WordPress / HTML / Websites + Marketing

2) Was the server / plan not renewed and that is why it is gone?

3) If it was WordPress - was this on a cPanel server or a Managed WordPress

Depending on what type of site / what platform it was on - some platforms include backup others don't

Also what is the domain  - it's possible there is an Internet Archive version of the site

Highlighted

Here is what I understand:

It was WordPress

my bill is paid up

cpanel

Apparently godaddy had problems with their servers last week and it appears this wiped out my website, it's database and there is no backup that they have for it.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@TDFinchum 

On GoDaddy's cPanel servers, they do not have backups - they sometimes have recovery backups which maybe a few days or a few weeks old - you may want to reach out to support to find out if there was a recovery copy available so you aren't starting from scratch. 

Once you do get back up and running I suggest using a Backup plugin that allows you to download the backup or automatically send it to S3, Dropbox or some other Cloud storage 

Highlighted

Thanks.  That would have been helpful to know.  I can say I seriously doubt I will be using godaddy since they lost the data to begin with, backup or not.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@TDFinchum 

Having been with GoDaddy and other hosting companies over the years.... I can count on one hand how many times this has happened (with other providers as well).....

The thing to remember is you are dealing with technology and technology can fail - Personally I am on a Mac and backup to to TimeMachine, but then I also have a CrashPlan (cloud based) as well just so if anything happens to my own computer I have multiple ways to restore it..... web hosting is no different - and unless you specifically pay for backup services, most providers do not provide backups. 

As I mentioned there maybe a recovery copy of the site - for example if your account expired and you wanted to get it back (with a restore fee) that they may have, but it is more there as a courtesy.

I had a VPS with a hardware failure over a year ago, they were able to restore the account to the Monday of that week - this happened on Thursday. Fortunately I had offsite backups so I only lost a few hours of data if that.