Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    alharlow
    Helper I

httpd config file access

Can anyone tell me if we have access to the Apache config file as a site admin?  I'm concerned about file security.  How do I prevent someone from getting to files they shouldn't?

5 REPLIES 5
    Alex-NewPath
    Helper IV

What sort of application are you running under apache? Is this on a shared hosting account?

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
    "At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yes, a shared account running a hand built web site.

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @alharlow. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

If you're on a shared hosting platform, then you (or your site's users) wouldn't have access to the httpd.conf file. You would have the ability to use a .htaccess file though, if you need to make adjustments to the hosting environment. Hope that helps! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.
    lostlee
    New

I'm just running using godaddy services.  I'm trying to insert php in one of my html files.  Someone said to use .htaccess to put in an addtype application but others said using config is better.  I tried using the .htaccess route to no success.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the config file.  Thank you in advance.

You don't need to access any configuration files to use php on a Godaddy server.  If I'm not mistaken php comes standard with every hosting account.

Your problem is you can never use php scripts in any .html or .htm files.  You can only use php in a .php file.  I would recommend you change the file extensions of any html files to .php to resolve your problem.

Note: There is a method  you can use to tell php to use different, or your own custom MIME file types;  But that is a touch more complicated.  I don't recommend it to beginners.