• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

404 NOT FOUND USING IP ADDRESS

Anyone know why I get 404 NOT FOUNDS returned from my managed wordpress site whenever the IP address is used instead of the dns hostname?  I don't understand what is happening here because if you nslookup the hostname that is used it is mapped to the IP address yet when i use that IP directly in say a browser it comes back 404 NOT FOUND.  

9 REPLIES 9
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: 404 NOT FOUND USING IP ADDRESS

@bp1025 

On Managed WordPress the IP address is not unique to your site so you MUST use the domain to access the site.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

PL281 - many thanks for taking the time to respond. I had no idea that the up assigned to you by go daddy was shared. I probably would have mad some different decisions had I known this. I assumed since they provided one to you associated to your site that it was! Good to know. It makes using externally (non godaddy) managed dns a real pain.

If anyone is wondering, I figured out a handy work around using external page rule with my DNS provider (Cloudflare). I created a cname and page rule to use the awkward URL provided by godaddy. It allowed me to use something a little more friendly for our development team like staging.website.com instead of a long string of random characters in xxxxxxx.myftpupload.com.

I’m sure there is a more elegant way to achieve this in godaddy alone, so if anyone knows please respond.

Thanks again PL281
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

@bp1025

A couple of things. 1) this is not unique to GoDaddy but with most managed solutions.

2) I would actually not recommend using Cloudflare with Managed WordPress as
    A) GoDaddy has a CDN
    B) as GoDaddy has caching you or double caching and that can lead to issues

If you have to use Cloudflare just make sure you use the bypass option

Also you should use an A record and point it to the ip and add the dev domain in the managed Wordpress admin

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

New

New

Thanks again.

Yes I’m using Cloudflare not for cdn but for ddos. As far as godaddy told me they don’t offer this for my product. It’s a requirement for me. Plus there are some really great analytics I get with Cloudflare I like.

Godaddy only uses cdn only if you enable it as far as I know. So I don’t see an issue.

AWS probably would have been a better solution for me.

How do I “add the dev domain” in godaddy WordPress admin?

Super User III
    Super User III

@bp1025 

Correct they don't use the CDN unless you enable it, however the caching is part of the Managed WordPress system.

To add the domain you goto https://myh.godaddy.com -> Your site -> Settings -> Attach domain (lower left side) - once you go live you can then add / switch to the actual domain

New

PL281:

I tried to do this.....

"To add the domain you goto https://myh.godaddy.com -> Your site -> Settings -> Attach domain (lower left side) - once you go live you can then add / switch to the actual domain"

however the dev/staging site doesn't appear in the domains/Attach domains section at  all.  It's just not available to attach.  I asked chat support and they said it doesn't work this way.
    Super User III
    Super User III

@bp1025 

Perhaps we are mixing terms - sorry if we are...

1) Depending on what plan you, some of the Managed WordPress plans include a specific Staging Site (Deluxe and Higher)

2) my instructions were for if you wanted to do dev.YOURDOMAIN.com instead of the ###.###.myftpupload.com that you would go to attach domain and do external / subdomain and then you can attach that domain - and then later on attach the actual domain - note: remove the dev domain first

Hope that clarifies what I was suggesting

Super User III
    Super User III

@bp1025 

Also if you already have a Live Managed WordPress site and you are trying to point a domain to the staging site, that is correct that you can't point a domain to that as otherwise people could have 2 different websites under 1 "license" - that is also why it uses the temp domain