• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

SFTP Doesn't Work

I setup a new site on our Managed Wordpress account and the site is working fine, but I am unable to use FTP. I've created an SFTP account in my local FTP client, Transmit. At first it worked. Then I logged out and tried to login again, but it said there was an issue with the username and password. I was locked out for hours. Then I tried the next day, and it just worked (I didn't change anything). After uploading a few files, I did the same thing - I logged out and tried to log back in, but again, it said there was an issue with the user name or password. I then deleted the entry in Transmit, added it back again, and it worked. A third time, I uploaded some file, logged out and tried to log back in, and got the same error. It's like it only works 10% of the time. What is going on?

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

Re: FTP Doesn't Work

@86interactive

Another thing to check is to make sure that your virus/firewall software has your FTP client set to allow in and out.  

If it isn't your firewall, your settings are correct and it works only sporadically, that would make me think something on the server side is hiccuping.  In that case only GoDaddy support can assist.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @86interactive,

If you give me your domain name I can check if the server is at fault or the FTP client Transmit. 

Simple Boolean logic.

For FTP itself not to work means it doesn't work for all of us, it does. So this points to the methods it is applied by.

The domain of the site I'm trying to update is http://jenbyoga.86i.ca.

I tried logging in this morning and again I was unable to. I have setup FTP accounts for a number of other sites the exact same way and they all seem to work fine. It's just this site that is giving me issues.

As a separate issue, when I am able to login (10% of the time), the server automatically logs me out after like 5 minutes. It gives me a "write error" and I can just no longer update any files. Then I logout, try logging back in, and then get the permission error:

The user name or password was not accepted by the server. The site may be inaccessible or your password may be incorrect. Please double-check your login settings.

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @86interactive,

Hmmmm, that does sound like a server glitch. I will run a few checks for you but they may be inconclusive if it's a sporadic fault. In which case you could always reset your hosting ( warning, resetting your hosting should be a last resort as it totally wipes all files and begins again from new. A backup of all files is needed and take screenshots of everything, just in case you need a visual aid to replicating stuff! Speak first with support if unsure of anything!). Resetting your hosting can fix problems like this if all else fails.

edit

=========

Your FTP port (21) is closed, so this would suggest your settings rather than a server issue. Try and find out why this port (21) is shut.

Edit @86interactive,

I think the problem is with your ftp settings on your site, rather than a server issue as port 21 (standard ftp port) is not open. So I would check your FTP settings. 

Resetting the server isn't an option. We've got 40+ websites on our Managed Wordpress account.

The SFTP credentials specify port 22. That's what I've been using and as I mentioned, it sometimes works, albeit very rarely. In any case, I tried port 21 and I got the same error.

I tried using FileZilla instead of Transmit and that worked. However, when I first connected I got a warning:

The server’s host key is unknown. You have no guarantee that the server is the computer you think it is.

It prompted me to save the SHA key in the FileZilla cache, which I did. I then disconnected and tried to connect again. This time I got:

Warning Potential Security Breach! The server’s key does not match the key has been cached.

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with how server keys work. What is going on? I shouldn't need to use a separate FTP app for this one single site. All the other sites seem to work fine. What is different about this one?

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@86interactive

I'm not sure why that site is different either.  Doesn't make sense!

I also use FileZilla and have never had any issues.  When I get that warning you noted I just accept as I know the server I am connecting to is what it is. Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Anonymous
    Not applicable

@86interactive,

Just connected to SSH port on your server with no problems whatsoever. So it points to your use of the keys for that particular domain. 

Sorry but without Remote Desktop or SSH login, it's between you and support who have access to your account.