cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkepley
Skilled

Cannot add an A-record to my domain

Hello,  I am new to this so I will try to be specific.  I registered my domain name through Godaddy but did not purchase anything else.  I am trying to host a website on my local computer.  In DNS Management - I add an A record with Host = the domain name I got from godaddy, points to = my public ipv4 address, and press the save button but all I get is -

An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support.

I have looked at the other similar reports but nothing seems to help.  Is there something I'm missing?

9 REPLIES
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cannot add an A-record to my domain

Hi @bkepley,

What kind of site are you trying to host? 

You get an error message 

'An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support' 

When you say hosting on local computer, how? Do you have a server? MAMP?

Do you wish the public to access this site on the net?

Please more detail........... ta Smiley Happy

bkepley
Skilled

It is a php/mysql site on my raspberry pi (linux-debian.)  It is using nginx.  Yes I would like to be able to access this publicly.  I appreciate the help.  Another thing is that I don't know if I need to or how to set the custom nameserver.  Everything I've tried does not allow me to save.  Anyway first things first I guess, why can't I set the A-record?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bkepley,

First things first, do you have a static IP address allocated by your ISP? Very important if you wish your site to be accessible to the public. 

Smiley Happy

bkepley
Skilled

Yes the ip address is static.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bkepley,

I will pm you @bkepley as because of potential nature of details of our conversation it would be best not made public on the forum......... It's very late in Scotland though (1am) so I will pm you tomorrow if that's ok? By the way I run apple server............... Cat Happy

bkepley
Skilled

Thanks and of course get some sleep.

bkepley
Skilled

Was finally able to add an A-record after changing the nameserver from the default.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes @bkepley,

pleased to have 'inspired'you with my pm, and to have found a solution yourself. 

Good luck with your project. I still say Centos is a better choice though, but never mind I'm sure you'll have fun. 😊

DeboRapport
Novice

I am going through the same thing right now! just purchased the domain after my friend from Rapport Naija pointed me to GoDaddy. I can't add A-records, and my site has been down since I set up the domain to link to my blog. It is hosted on Google blogspot. I guess I would just delete the nameservers too...