Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
rjeromeh
New

Did someone steal my domain?

I registered a domain with GoDaddy back in October 2014. (The domain is not due to expire until October 2016). And, my account with GoDaddy is current.

Yesterday, I visited my website, my website was gone. In its place was a basic WordPress installation page.

I did a Whois look up and it reports that I am the Registrant of the domain but someone called "Key-Systems" registered my domain from a registration URL: http://www.key-systems.net/tld/fm

How could this happen and how can I recover my domain?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello @rjeromeh!

It sounds as though something may have happened to the content on your site, rather than there being an issue with your domain. I'd recommend reviewing your hosting account first. Use this article as reference. I'm not suggesting that your site was hacked but all of the practices within the article are good places to start if there's content up that you did not put there yourself. Reach out to our support team if you have any questions.

Hi @robin_rhyder!

I'm sorry to hear you have such an opinion of us. We definitely don't cheat our customers. We work very hard to do quite the contrary. You definitely sound as though you could benefit from a conversation with our support team. They can help you determine what's happened to your domain and if anything can be done to recover it.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

@sarahmckittrick

What you're describing sounds like your domain and Online Store were not on the same renewal schedule. You may have renewed your store for a year but your domain sounds like it expired a month later and that's the reason it was in redemption. If you do not renew your domain before the end of the redemption period, someone else can pick it up through auction. It would be they who have it listed for sale as a premium domain because that's what premium domains are; domains listed for sale by their owners. I'm sorry you lost your domain. We do everything we can to make sure this doesn't happen, including sending multiple reminder emails before and after expiration to give you ample opportunity to renew.

@Wang

I'd recommend you continue to work with our change department. They're the only ones who are able to help you regain access to your account with proper documentation. Thank you for understanding. 

Hi @kingofdomains

As a general rule, the registrant of a domain is the person or the organization listed on the domain (not by what account it is in or who paid for it). This is an ICANN rule that we abide by to determine ownership. However, here is a general guide as to where you should write if you are concerned about a domain leaving your account without your authorization. 

Please see who.godaddy.com for the status/registrant of your domain then you may submit ONE of the following.

1. If your domain was moved to another GoDaddy account and you are still the registrant, you may submit a change claim at CHANGEUPDATE.COM for review.

2. If your domain was moved to another GoDaddy account and the registrant has changed, you may email your issue to UNDO@GODADDY.COM for review.

3. If you have been told that GoDaddy moved it to a proven registrant, you are welcome to dispute this move and have it reviewed by sending an email to UNDOCHANGE@GODADDY.COM.

Please submit the name of the domain and your name in that email and our teams specializing in review and recovery will get back to you within 24-72 hours.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

Hi @LishaV

When a domain registration is not renewed, you have no longer paid for the ownership as listed with the registry. Fortunately, we keep the domain in your account for an extended period of time to allow for you to recover that domain for your use. For more information on what happens to a domain when it is not renewed, please see the timeline in the article below.

What happens after domain names expire? 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700?

Supporting you at x.co/247support

Hi @paramax55

In order to create an email using any given domain name, you must currently own or have control over that domain. If you "let it go" and failed to renew the domain, it is placed in auction for recovery, and -- if no one purchases, sent back to the registry for future public release. If another party later purchased or registered the domain (GoDaddy doesn't "scoop up" expired domains), the new registrant is able to use it, sell it or park it at will. At a $700 price tag, the new owner must have listed it in auction or listed as a premium domain.

Click here for more information on what happens to your domains when you allow them to expire.

29 REPLIES 29
Realitek
New

Uhh...is the domain still listed on your GoDaddy account under domains? If so, then someone gained access to your account and made changes to the domain. If not, then my only guess would be that someone gained access to your account and transferred the domain out to them. In that case, I'd contact GoDaddy via phone and speak to someone. Honestly that's probably the best course of action anyways.

Pretty much the same with my situation, only I think worse in my case.  Slimey Godaddy business practices, and what they think they can get away with, will come back to bite them in the ass.  I will not rest till this almost criminal company is exposed for the losers and cheaters they are.  Of course I am not condemning everyone there, but most must know how they are cheating their customers.  More to follow.

Hello @rjeromeh!

It sounds as though something may have happened to the content on your site, rather than there being an issue with your domain. I'd recommend reviewing your hosting account first. Use this article as reference. I'm not suggesting that your site was hacked but all of the practices within the article are good places to start if there's content up that you did not put there yourself. Reach out to our support team if you have any questions.

Hi @robin_rhyder!

I'm sorry to hear you have such an opinion of us. We definitely don't cheat our customers. We work very hard to do quite the contrary. You definitely sound as though you could benefit from a conversation with our support team. They can help you determine what's happened to your domain and if anything can be done to recover it.

Last year, I transferred my domain name over to GoDaddy and paid a service fee for them to host my Webstore. I had this store, without incident for almost a year. After paying monthly for several months GoDaddy offered me a discounted rate to pre pay for their service for 1 year. I paid for the service a year in advance and one month into the agreement my website was canceled and my domain name was takin off-line. I contacted customer support and they informed me that I was the only person who could delete my accounts yet I informed them that I did not and had just pre-paid for the year and asked for them to reinstate my webstore. GoDaddy representatives said that this would only be possible if I paid a steep fee. I was then told that my Domain name was in a “redemption period” and that it was “none reachable”. They advised me to call Icann to see the status of my domain name. Icann told me that it was under the control of GoDaddy. I spent several days talking with managers at Godaddy and they told me that there was nothing that I could. Today, you are offering my Domain name that I purchased the rights to last year for $10.99, on their web site as a “premium” listing for the elevated price of $799.00. Godaddy has been very unwilling to work with me to correct this issue and in my opinion has stolen my domain name without my permission and is attempting to extort additional money from my company to re-acquire something that already belongs to me. In addition, I paid in advance for a service that I cannot use. 

@sarahmckittrick

What you're describing sounds like your domain and Online Store were not on the same renewal schedule. You may have renewed your store for a year but your domain sounds like it expired a month later and that's the reason it was in redemption. If you do not renew your domain before the end of the redemption period, someone else can pick it up through auction. It would be they who have it listed for sale as a premium domain because that's what premium domains are; domains listed for sale by their owners. I'm sorry you lost your domain. We do everything we can to make sure this doesn't happen, including sending multiple reminder emails before and after expiration to give you ample opportunity to renew.

@Wang

I'd recommend you continue to work with our change department. They're the only ones who are able to help you regain access to your account with proper documentation. Thank you for understanding. 

My domain was also stolen by someone. I just received an email that you domain has been deleted from your account. Later I found another mail regarding process of changing the registrant. I don't know how did they verify the process without OTP or other confirmation. All this happened at night while I was asleep. Godaddy customer care asked me to contact undo@godaddy.com and now they are saying that they can't do anythnig as details of domain registrant has been not been changed. They have asked me to go to changeupdate.com and fill up the form. Don't know what will happen.

I am going through exact same thing right NOW NOW NOW!

I am amazed Godaddy and Change department is not willing to even check email logs regarding that i won my account. Does anyone know a solution to this big problem! ??

I am also going through the same issue. I got an email at 12:38 that my contact info was being changed and asking me to confirm it. Then within 1 hour all of my info was changed and my domains were transferred to a new registrar. I sent hours on the phone with GoDaddy, only to get sent to a dispute form with Godaddy. They said that the person sent proof of ownership to them which included a copy of my idea. It is unbelievable that they would fall for this scam. I had my domains locked and they allowed them to be unlocked and transferred with no wait period all in a matter of 1 hour. I am so upset right now. I have been a customer of Godaddy for over 10 years and have 100 domains with them. 

Hi @kingofdomains

As a general rule, the registrant of a domain is the person or the organization listed on the domain (not by what account it is in or who paid for it). This is an ICANN rule that we abide by to determine ownership. However, here is a general guide as to where you should write if you are concerned about a domain leaving your account without your authorization. 

Please see who.godaddy.com for the status/registrant of your domain then you may submit ONE of the following.

1. If your domain was moved to another GoDaddy account and you are still the registrant, you may submit a change claim at CHANGEUPDATE.COM for review.

2. If your domain was moved to another GoDaddy account and the registrant has changed, you may email your issue to UNDO@GODADDY.COM for review.

3. If you have been told that GoDaddy moved it to a proven registrant, you are welcome to dispute this move and have it reviewed by sending an email to UNDOCHANGE@GODADDY.COM.

Please submit the name of the domain and your name in that email and our teams specializing in review and recovery will get back to you within 24-72 hours.

Also,my account has been hacked and out of my control. Because the password, pin code, first registrar email address all had been changed. Although I have supply the screenshots of payment for domains register and purchase Private Domain Registration for some domains in my account. Other proof are the email history in my first register email address, such as the confirmation email when I register my account and the confirmation emails when I register new domains or purchased new service for my domains and so on. But when I try to get support from the changeupate department and undo department there is not working. I still not get back my account and my domain now. So I need to register a new account with my email address, then I can login here to try if I can get help here or I can buy new domains for to run my sites normally if Godaddy do not help me to get back my domains. I can not believe that there is not clear evidence to help me get back my account and the domains with the proof I have supplied and after that department do investigation to the history record(the system log about my account) in the system of Godaddy.  @Heather If any kindly advice please email me, my email is ijwk921@gmail.com(this is the first registrar email in my hacked account). The customer No. of my account has been hacked is 114266752.Thank you very much.

It's almost comical that Heather would post that GoDaddy is honest. I let a domain go away because I didn't need it any more. Now, 5 years later, I need 1 email using that domain name. Godaddy scooped up the name and it cost me an extra $700.00 to get it back. It's an ongoing practice with Godaddy and they do it under shadow companies. But, as wrong as it is, it's still legal. It's free money in their pockets and they're not about to give it up.

Hi @paramax55

In order to create an email using any given domain name, you must currently own or have control over that domain. If you "let it go" and failed to renew the domain, it is placed in auction for recovery, and -- if no one purchases, sent back to the registry for future public release. If another party later purchased or registered the domain (GoDaddy doesn't "scoop up" expired domains), the new registrant is able to use it, sell it or park it at will. At a $700 price tag, the new owner must have listed it in auction or listed as a premium domain.

Click here for more information on what happens to your domains when you allow them to expire.

Godaddy stole my domain too last year and told me that had sent several e-mails stating my domain would expire.  The truth is I never received an e-mail from them.  They are currently trying to sale the domain I created, which is the name of my company for $25,000.  

Hi There, I have the same issue, my domain (whats-cooking.net) is not listed anymore in my control panel. I noticed that the site was offline and when I entered my account I do not see this domain anymore. Appears to be updated by someone

Updated Date: 2018-02-21T17:07:32Z
Creation Date: 2016-02-09T16:56:06Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-02-09T16:56:06Z

I did not do that, how can I get it back?

Thanks.

Hi @trimbita

We send five emails to alert a customer to impending expiration or failed billing of their domains. Your domain is still in your account, but can now be found on the Expired Domains screen. You may recover it to your account using the following instructions. https://www.godaddy.com/help/recovering-expired-domain-names-5018?

Hi there @TLH,

Many thanks for your message. I followed the steps mentioned, arrived to the Expired domains section and the message there says: You have no expired domains.

Can I search it any other way?

Thanks.

Costin

I had a very bad experience as well, my domain Expired on 2018-01-06 and due to the fact that it was not on autorenewal option, someone got the domain registered on the same date for another one year, the domain will now expired on 2019-01-06. This domain had been with me for the past 11 years and in those years, i had renewed the domain up to 15 days after expiration. But this time around, it was snap on the very day of its expiration. Unless if the rule had change which i might be aware, that domain return to public registry after 90 days, I am waiting patiently, if this will ever happen.

You hit the nail on the head.  I cringe anytime a GoDaddy commercial appears. Until the Feds create a minimum 10 year penalty ongoing theft will occur in your face.

JonCraig
New

SAME PROBLEM FOR ME!
My domain was with GoDaddy. I checked last month and the domain points to a company who want me to buy my domain back.

My account wasn't hacked. My domain had expired even though the domain is registered with GoDaddy.

GoDaddy, please get in touch with me. I am not prepared to pay the £0.62p pence per minute call charges and spend 30 to 60 minutes and £30 to sort an issue out that shouldn't have happened.

I registered a domain with GoDaddy back in October 2014. (The domain is not due to expire until October 2016). And, my account with GoDaddy is current.

Yesterday, I visited my website, my website was gone. In its place was a basic WordPress installation page.

I did a Whois look up and it reports that I am the Registrant of the domain but someone called "Key-Systems" registered my domain from a registration URL: http://www.key-systems.net/tld/fm

How could this happen and how can I recover my domain?

My, my, my.   Another domain stolen?   Who do so many people forget.  Stealing domain names must be big business for GoDaddy.    My domain name CDTG.com was stolen many years ago.  The FTC caught the theft of thousands of 4 CHAR domain names and here how it worked.  My domain name was nearing expiration date. Whenever I called or emailed to pay for additional 10 years the employee would not allow me to pay until he had a copy of my drivers license. No matter how many clear images of my drivers license I emailed (24 in all) I would get the same response. "I can see it"  or "I can read it"  etc.  The day it expired it was snatched!!!  GoDaddy are you listening?  You still owe me CDTG.COM...its been now locked for 15 years.