cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Loop during 301 domain transfer to another domain then another domain! w/random string addition too!

Here goes and thanks for any help:

I have Domain1 and Domain2 both registered thru GoDaddy and Domain3 at another host.

Domain1 is set to forward to another website - Domain3 (hosted at another host provider).  I used the process available thru "Use My Domain" and did everything and clicked on the "Update my nameservers and DNS settings to support this change."

To be clear, Domain1 is forwarding to Domain3, but it loops thru Domain2 somehow and then around a while before it gets there and is causing trouble with my Google Accounts - Analytics and Search Console.

Here is what is happening under the covers.  Ideally I'd get rid of the 1st couple redirects - not sure what that's doing or how?

For example - Home Page - 301 - trying to forward domain1 URLs to domain3:

START
*domain1.com

*302 - Temporary Redirect to:
domain2/jQaMN/

(FYI - "jQaMN" is completely random and changes; it's interchangeable with any Random 5 characters - at Google Search Console, when Fetch as Google, it gets stuck and when tries to follow redirect, it actually adds another random 5 character string at end of this one, then, redirects back to original string and says it's done!)

domain2/

*301 - Moved Permanently to:
domain3.com/ (FINAL destination)
    END

Here's another example - this example of sending domain1/buy to domain2/buy:

START
*domain1.com/buy

domain2.com/ViTNm/buy

domain2.com/buy

domain3.com/buy

domain3.com/buy/ (FINAL destination)
    END

The main concern of mine at this time is to get rid of the forwarding between GoDaddy-hosted domains AND ideally to get rid of random 5 digit directory/level that is getting added automatically through GoDaddy during the redirect process (but that sounds like an ongoing issue that's been around for a while, so if I could get rid of first couple 302s, that would help me).  Could this be a misconfiguration on my DNS setup or is this all some bug on GoDaddy's end?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

2 REPLIES 2
estieg
Former Employee

Re: Loop during 301 domain transfer to another domain then another domain! w/random string addition

Hi @peggybauerazre

Thank you for your question.  Wanted to check in with you and see if there's any update on your problem?  I'm happy to include a few folks to help out - in particular during an AMA next week where we'll spend more time researching the issue.  Please let me know if anything has changed. 

Make it a great day,

Eric

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Loop during 301 domain transfer to another domain then another domain! w/random string addition

Hello!

The additional characters at the end of the forwarded domain URL is a security protocol caused by networks detecting high-volume activity or DDOS-like activity in the path between a computer and the website it's trying to access. When customers see those extra letters, it means that whatever was requesting the site, wasn't able to properly respond to the forwarding server in order to get their traffic to be cleared.

In regards to the specific issue you are being impacted by where your Domain1 is routing through your Domain2 while on its way to Domain3, I would recommend contacting our support department directly so we may troubleshoot this further.

Hope this helps!

Paul D. | Advanced Technical Support
24/7 Support at x.co/247support