cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Sites don't work due to DNS

None of my sites  at http://192.186.215.101/~gbhwilf/ work anymore:

I have change the DNS A entry but it didn't fix it  They used to work, so I am assuming it is something on godaddy that changed.   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Sites don't work due to DNS

@gbhwilf 

Ok - so a couple of things

1) Your cPanel server is configured to use gbhwilf.com

2) DNS Only (Off-site) means / is displayed when the domain is registered somewhere else but you are using GoDaddy for the DNS

3) MOST IMPORTANT: it does not appear that gbhwilf.com is actually registered yet - you need to purchase the domain 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@gbhwilf 

Site is loading for me - glad it has all worked out

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@gbhwilf 

It looks like a file permission issue. I'd make sure the file permissions are correct on your hosting. If that's not it, I would suggest giving GD a call as they will likely take tools we don't have at our disposal to accurately run a diagnostic.

* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Highlighted

I have the folders set as 755, files as 644 so they should be readable.  I was in contact with GoDaddy before but they gave me the runaround saying it was due to the name servers and I did not get an answer.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf 

Do you have a domain pointed to your cPanel server vs trying to connect vs the IP address. I know that some of the servers are configured that you MUST use a domain as the IP address is configured to point to the root of the server and even adding the "user name" in the fashion that you did will not load the site.

Highlighted

How do I check that?  When I go to "My Products" there is nothing listed under "Domains".   When I click "Manage all" I get:

gbhwilf.com

DNS Only (Off-site)

Under "Web Hosting":

Deluxe Linus Hosting with cPanel

gbhwilf.com

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@gbhwilf 

Ok - so a couple of things

1) Your cPanel server is configured to use gbhwilf.com

2) DNS Only (Off-site) means / is displayed when the domain is registered somewhere else but you are using GoDaddy for the DNS

3) MOST IMPORTANT: it does not appear that gbhwilf.com is actually registered yet - you need to purchase the domain 

Highlighted

I registered gbhwilf.com and am still getting the 404 error.  I have files in my public_html folder.   Are there other settings on GoDaddy I need to change? 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf

I'm not getting coming soon which means it is more than likely pointing to the root of the server if you put one of the subfolders on now you should see it

Highlighted

When I ping www.gbhwilf.com, I get response back from 192.186.215.101 but when I put www.gbhwilf.com into a web browser, I am getting the "Future Home of something cool" message.

When I click the link on the "Future home" page to login to cpanel and log in, the IP is listed as 192.186.215.103.  

Dedicated IP Address192.186.215.103

When I login at www.godaddy.com, and manage "Web hosting with cpanel" the server is 192.186.215.101 and the DNS A entries are the same.  

IP address

I'm not sure which one is correct or why they would be different.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf 

Can you post pictures of the following

1) cPanel information from GoDaddy dashboard that shows the IP

2) cPanel FileManager - public_html folder

3) DNS screen from GoDaddy

Thank you

Highlighted

settings.jpgdns.jpgfilemanager.jpg

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf 

Thanks for the picutres

1) I'm seeing the 101 ip - not sure why you were seeing the 103

2) Just to confirm the server is named GBHWILF.COM or you have this as an add-on domain?

3) Just to confirm this is the public_html folder and not a subfolder / different folder

Highlighted

1.  I see .103 when I login to Cpanel

2.  How do I check that?

3.  It was a shot from public_html

Highlighted

When I go to www.gbhwilf.com and get this message:

Future home of something quite cool.

If you're the site owner, log in to launch this site

If you are a visitor, check back soon.

When I login here I get this under Domains:

cpanel.jpg

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf 

In this case you will need to reach out to GoDaddy as it seems there is a mapping issue on your account - as those 2 IPs should match - and that is probably why you aren't able to get to the files in your account - my guess is the 103 is the correct address - You can "probably" just update the DNS, but I would still reach out to them to make sure everything stays in sync

Highlighted

I agree, I don't know which one to use .101 is what I get when I ping www.gbhwilf.com.  I'll try GoDaddy but their support is such a headache with no e-mail support and I don't know if they monitor this forum or not.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@gbhwilf 

They do not monitor the community as this is not a support channel.

If you go back to the DNS Manager (https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/gbhwilf.com/dns) and click the pencil and change it to the 103 address (also set the TTL to 1 hour)

I adjusted my local computer to use the 103 address and when I did that I got your Scooters past and present / Other Interests / My Kids 

So that is 100% the correct IP address - I would recommend calling into support if you can rather than chat.

What you should tell them is the "hosting dashboard" is showing the wrong IP address and that cPanel itself has the correct one - this is something that will probably need to be escalated.

You "should" be able to leave it alone - but I would be concerned if they make an update at some point in the future that it gets adjusted and breaks something.

Highlighted

Chatting with godaddy, they changed the IP to .103 but it will take 1-2 days to propagate.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@gbhwilf 

Site is loading for me - glad it has all worked out