My outlook is not getting e-mails. It says: Your message wasn't delivered to e-mail address such and such because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail. Are there any tips for this, or should I just call helpdesk? I tested when I set it up and it received an e-mail from my google account. But now I tested again because other people claimed that their e-mails to me bounced, and it bounced and I got the same message again. If I can't get e-mails for this business account then it is useless and it comes across as really unprofessional.
Hi @Gebwon2. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It's hard to say for sure what's happening in your situation. Most often, this type of issue is due to the domain having the wrong MX records. If the domain has MX records for more than one provider, it can also cause issues intermittently. If you're using Office 365 email, then the only MX record you'd want would follow this pattern: domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com. The example above would be for domain.com. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the information. I will call help support to guide me through this. It is strange that it worked when I started but since then it stopped working. I have no idea how to fix this.