cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Creating a new 'draft' website

Hello, hope everyone is doing well today!

I have a client who has a domain with Godaddy, while using Wix to build the site. They have hired me to design them a completely new website, but they want to be able to do updates on their end also (they have no coding experience) . So I have decided that WordPress will be our best option.

However, my issue is that I am a little hung up on how I can start to design/create a site that only me and them can see... and then when the website is finished and everyone is happy... I will take down the wix and just redirect the traffic to WordPress. I do not want to have to pay for 2 domains, is there such thing as a test domain that I can build off of, and it will act as a 'live site'.

Will I need a sub-domain? How do I go about this?  Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JMPepper
Advocate VII

Hi @tiztriickz,

With the managed wp hosting you have the options of using a temporary url AND creating a "staging" site.  You can work on the temporary domain until you get it ready and then just assign the IP address to the domain and you'll be good on the hosting side.  

Here is an article on staging sites:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/whats-a-staging-site-12292?  Be sure to follow the step-by-step when using the staging sites.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JMPepper
Advocate VII

Hi @tiztriickz,

With the managed wp hosting you have the options of using a temporary url AND creating a "staging" site.  You can work on the temporary domain until you get it ready and then just assign the IP address to the domain and you'll be good on the hosting side.  

Here is an article on staging sites:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/whats-a-staging-site-12292?  Be sure to follow the step-by-step when using the staging sites.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post