cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Plugins keep disappearing on Wordpress, help!

Hello,

I have noticed that some plugins on my Wordpress website https://zakdimitrov.com keep disappearing. It happened a year or so ago and hasn't happened since, but now WooCommerce seems to be disappearing very frequently, which is obviously a huge issue as it takes down my store. When I try to install the plugin again it says it's not possible as a folder with this name already exists so I have to restore from a backup. Also when I log in to the Wordpress dashboard it's very often that I see "maintenance, check again shortly" whenever I click something, this is coming up way more often than it should. I use Wordfence for protection, latest version of Wordpress and my theme is Oshine.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Zak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User III

@zakdimitrov 

That can happen when you run an update and it doesn't complete correctly - therefore you need to manually delete the plugin folder and then re-install it and you'll be good to go....

I manage a few hundred sites and this happens from time to time - various causes - but just re-installing solves the issue - part of the reason I don't do auto updates

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PL281
Super User III

@zakdimitrov 

That can happen when you run an update and it doesn't complete correctly - therefore you need to manually delete the plugin folder and then re-install it and you'll be good to go....

I manage a few hundred sites and this happens from time to time - various causes - but just re-installing solves the issue - part of the reason I don't do auto updates

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

@PL281 wow, if that's the cause I'd be so happy, sounds a lot simpler than I imagined it to be. What would you suggest that I do to prevent this from happening in the future? At the moment it's happening on WooCommerce, how should I delete and re-install without losing the data? 

Any idea about the "maintenance, try again later" issue? I read that it happens if I update more than one plugin at once, but sometimes it happens when I open the dashboard and I click on a link, doesn't matter which, before I've clicked on any updates.

@zakdimitrov 

This is all related to timeout issues - not much to do to prevent it

If you use the file manager in the GoDaddy dashboard you can then delete (in this case) the WooCommerce folder and then just reinstall it 

This is only deleting the files not the database content.

In terms of the maintenance alert you might have to enable show hidden files and then delete the .maintenance file again what happens is the system times out and doesn't remove the file

@PL281 Should I also delete the Paypal and Stripe Woocommerce folders or just the main one?

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 18.37.08.png

I see these two maintenance files, should I delete them both? The website is currently up and running. Thank you!

@zakdimitrov 

Just the main WooCommerce Plugin itself and just the .maintenance file