cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

WordPress update Fatal Error website is down

Good morning

I recently updated WordPress on my site and now when I go to the URL (Second Church) this error message appears:

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/content/25/11697625/html/wp-content/themes/enfold/includes/helper-post-format.php on line 213

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: WordPress update Fatal Error website is down

Hi @secondcc ,

Did you backup your site before the update?  If so, the easiest way to begin to track down the source of the error is to restore your site to the last previous working version.  From there, do a bit of research on your theme and plugins to make sure they are compatible with the latest version of WP.  During this transition between the classic and Gutenburg editors, backups are more vital than ever.  

If you are able to get into the backend of the site, you can start by disabling all of your plugins, and then re-enabling them one-by-one until the error occurs and you know the source of the problem.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Hi James

Thanks so much for getting back to me on my issue. I am not able to log into WordPress through the browser, I see the same error message. I am not sure how else to disable plug-ins etc if I'm unable to login.

Do you have another suggestion on how to bypass this?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Hi @secondcc ,

Looks like the restore is going to be your best option.  What platform are you on?  If its a managed wordpress and you enabled backups you should be able to walk through the backup/restore wizard to revert to the last working point. 

In the event you are on a cPanel plan, did you setup/enable the backkups?  Once again, there is a step-by-step wizard within the cPanel dashboard for backups.

Perhaps a call/email to tech support may be required.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites