cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

I updated Wordpress and was unable to use the Wordpress PHP Editor to update PHP. I had the bright idea changing the PHP version to 7.0 and now I can no longer access my Wordpress site (robkane.me). I following error is displayed: "Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress."

Can someone please outline the steps I need to take to resolve this issue? Thank you!

-Rob Kane

8 REPLIES 8

Wordpress setup: PHP installation missing the MySQL extension - HELP!

I'm having some trouble migrating my wordpress site to godaddy. So far haven't had any luck getting the site to show up. I've got cPanel hosting and have migrated my database and all the files from the old host. I have updated my config.php file and have set my php to version 7.1. I'm getting this error:

PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

I read a few posts similar to this and followed the advice given there, but have had no luck. When i changed the PHP to native 5.4, the error message changed to:

Error establishing a database connection

Any help on how I might fix this problem would be much appreciated - i'm not a web developer, just a friend trying to put up a very simple wordpress site for a mate!

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Re: Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

Hi @RobKane, thanks for posting.

You may want to try changing the PHP version again and ensuring the MySQL is enabled in your PHP settings. More information on working with your PHP version settings can be found here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/view-or-change-your-php-version-16090

You see the individual options when viewing or changing your PHP version.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Re: Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

Gary, I changed it back to native (5.4) and my site loaded again! Thank you Gary for the suggestion and your time.

Cheers!

-Rob

Setting up wordpress: MySQL error

any luck getting the site to show up. I've got cPanel hosting and have migrated my database and all the files from the old host. I have updated my config.php file and have set my php to version 7.1. I'm getting this error:

PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

I read a few posts similar to this and followed the advice given there, but have had no luck. When i changed the PHP to native 5.4, the error message changed to:

Error establishing a database connection

Any help on how I might fix this problem would be much appreciated - i'm not a web developer, just a friend trying to put up a very simple wordpress site for a mate!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Setting up wordpress: MySQL error

Hi @mynameisboring.

The error "Error establishing a database connection" is usually caused by an issue with the database connection details in WordPress. You would want to double check your wp-config to ensure the correct database username and password are set. Since you are on cPanel hosting, you will also want to ensure that the database host is "localhost".

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status
Employee
Employee

FYI you likely have a php.ini that is causing issues with the other versions. Rename that and you should be able to run any version you'd like in your hosting.

@transparent  How does one delete a php.ini file in a cpanel ultimate hosting? .. Or why am I am able to upgrade to php 7.3 while the mysql environment stays on 5.6?.. How can I solve wanting to run PHP7 for all the environment which includes wordpress applications and other non wordpress sites?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Introgression. To clarify what @transparent meant, while you can use an INI file to modify the way PHP functions in your hosting environment, it wouldn't allow you to change other elements, such as the version of MySQL that is available. That will likely be updated in a future release, though I don't know when that will occur. 

As far as deleting a file goes, you should be able to do this via an FTP client or by selecting the domain in the File Manager and deleting it. 

As for the PHP version you're using, if you're on cPanel, you can use the steps in this article to change your PHP version. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.