cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Visual Studio - Publish Database without Web Deploy

Hello -

I was recommended by support to publish my asp.net application in Visual Studio using FTP and not Web deploy due to Web Deploy no longer being an option. Here was the YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjViwgZLpYk

This worked great, but due to using FTP and not Web Deploy, I am unable to set up Connection Strings, automatically create my tables from my local db and Connect to my GoDaddy MSSQL Database. 

Are there any work around's for this? 

1 REPLY 1
    New
    Solution

Re: Visual Studio - Publish Database without Web Deploy

For anyone experiencing a similar issue and getting no help from Support, here is the solution.

Use the YouTube video to publish your page with Visual Studio via FTP.

Next add the string Connection String below to your web.config and app.config files. Comment out the old Connection Strings for your local db.

<add name="DefaultConnection"
    connectionString="Data Source=DATABASEIPADDRESS;Integrated Security=False; Initial Catalog=DATABASENAMEHERE;User Id=USERNAMEHERE; Password=PASSWORDHERE;Connect Timeout=15;Encrypt=False;Packet Size=4096"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Then inside Package Manager Console run: Update-Database -ConnectionStringName "DefaultConnection"

Your databases should now be published to your GoDaddy database. **Note they will have no records, only the tables.