• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Error message: The Permalink has already been taken

I am having a problem when I try to add product to my online store. I get a message that says: Permalink has already been taken. has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved. 

11 REPLIES 11
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Re: Error message: The Permalink has already been taken

@David1948

Without details, that generally means the URL created when you setup that new product is already in use.  Do you have another product with a similar name?  Try slightly changing the title of the new product to see if that makes a difference.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

New

Hi,
          I'm also having this same issue, I've tried changing a few things and to no avail. Did you ever get it figured out? If so could you let me know how to fix the issue. Thank you for your time Smiley Happy

Having this issue....have read forum, but no fix.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Hi @DSJRACC,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with permalink.  The system generates a unique link for your product, that could be used for search engine optimization.  When you try to add two products with same name, the second product would fail to save with permalink error.  You could either specify a slightly different name for the product or  click 'Search Engine' tab on 'Add product' > Edit next to permalink to provide a different name.  This should resolve the problem you are having.  Let us know if you still have the problem saving your product.

Thanks,

Mohan Kumaresh,

Product Manger, Online Stores

New

I have done this and I am EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED! My site is for Mathews Decals so of course the description for most of them contain the same wording!  There are only so many ways to word Mathews logo, Mathews Skull etc.  I have tried to add a product number or color (when applicable) and it STILL will not allow me to continue! I am so regretting upgrading my subscription and site!  The fact that it can't electronically transfer the item on my current site to the new site baffles me!

New

I agree.  this limitation renders this product useless.  why don't they allow multiple items with the same product name?  they could just auto increment the sku to get around this in the underlying code.  I sell many items with the same product name.  i cant imagine selling 10 tomahawks, one called tomahawk 5 for no good reason to the buyer and another called tomahawk 103.  Not to mention the overhead it creates in keeping track of the last number used and what about when the site is up to tomahawk 1059.  that's going to look kinda silly.....

New

I tried changing the product name by adding a number to the product names as unworkable as hat is and it still says "Error message: The Permalink has already been taken"  its like adding a number made no difference

New

Ok,  it works if you delete the sku that's already there before you change the title...  you should be able to use the same title and the sku auto increment...  why does auto spell check work here and not in gocentral?

please fix the sku issue and add spell check to gocentral entries.

Thanks, Ed

i had this problem for listing color choices for my jewelry  

i went from

color  to color1

color2

color3

and am on color4,   now

but it will soon be color5

I hope this works for you Smiley Happy

thank you very much!

This is beyond aggravating. I have dozens of items to list & find that I just am running out of "creative" ways to fool the system into letting me list them. I've tried the tip to clear the SKU but also don't want to keep changing the title of each item as they are all handpainted yarn. I want to put a huge asterisk with *this name is stupid because I am so frustrated with GoDaddy's website. Ugh. Worst part is that if I didn't manage to guess an acceptable item title I have to reload all the pics. Any other reasonable fixes or are you contemplating fixing it on your end?