• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Image quality ...used high res professional photos but look low res on my site?

Hi there,

I tried using the website builder. I have some professional photos which are high res. However when I used them on the website builder they have shown in low res and bad quality?

Please could you advise on this?

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: Image quality ...

Without knowing your precise situation it would be difficult to say too much @carlijmyers but your image quality question is not unique. I know that there is some compression used for uploads images. Check out Best practices for using website images from the GoDaddy Garage. Perhaps there is a better format that will get you a greater result?  I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Re: Image quality ... GD changed all to WEBP and messed them all up

Recently I discovered that, without telling us, GD changed all of my images from web optimized JPEGs to WEBPs. I am in shock, once again. Since I had already optimized all of my hundreds of photos individually using a photo editor, resized them down, changed the DPI, etc. THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE! Now my photos look grainy and blurry. If this is what you are experiencing also, that's probably why.

Who decided to do this? I've already done the PROPER thing, thank you. I don't need them deciding for me my photo formats, etc. My entire web site sucks now and is ruined! Thanks alot GD.

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Re: Image quality ... GD changed all to WEBP and messed them all up

Hi @Hopeful 

We recently switched to WebP which provides smaller images at equal or higher quality to most devices (Chrome, Safari and eventually Edge). You can see more details below

"WebP lossless images are 26% smaller in size compared to PNGs. WebP lossy images are 25-34% smaller than comparable JPEG images at equivalent SSIM quality index"

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/

Do you want to share your website with us so we can take a look? Thanks.

Best,

Yun