• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Link externally to a specific SECTION on my GoDaddy website

I have a contract I send to clients and have to refer them to detailed info on my GoDaddy website.  I want to add a link in the contract that takes clients to that specific SECTION on the page without them having to scroll down.  I know how to create a hyperlink to the top of the page and found through some research that I can add a specific ID to that section by 'inspecting' my page for that ID.  Problem is GoDaddy doesn't provide the ID in a clear manner like what I figure would be regular HTML.  How do I get the SECTION ID to add to the hyperlink? 

Current link I'm wanting to add to:

https://handyvetinspections.com/pricing   (I want it to go to the Standard of Operation SECTION below pricing)

I hope this is clear and someone has an easy button handy.   

Thanks for any help!

Life is hard... it's harder when you're stupid!
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User II

@hispeed68 

I can't try this on my test site because it is not published, but it should work... 😉

What you can do is add an anchor (with the HTML widget) above the area you want clients to land.  You would name the anchor to be descriptive of that specific section.  For example you have two sections.  Put each snippet in an HTML widget above each section.  One for Residential and one above the Condo section:

<a name="residential"></a>
    <a name="condo"></a>

Then, the link you would give customers would look like this:

https://handyvetinspections.com/pricing/#residential

https://handyvetinspections.com/pricing/#condo

Give that a whirl and let me know if it works, okay? 😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User II

@hispeed68 

I can't try this on my test site because it is not published, but it should work... 😉

What you can do is add an anchor (with the HTML widget) above the area you want clients to land.  You would name the anchor to be descriptive of that specific section.  For example you have two sections.  Put each snippet in an HTML widget above each section.  One for Residential and one above the Condo section:

<a name="residential"></a>
    <a name="condo"></a>

Then, the link you would give customers would look like this:

https://handyvetinspections.com/pricing/#residential

https://handyvetinspections.com/pricing/#condo

Give that a whirl and let me know if it works, okay? 😉

Judith

View solution in original post

Thanks but it is still taking me to the top of the page rather than the Standard Operating Procedure section.

right now I'm working on creating an anchor in a new HTML section I created that will be 'hidden' and link to that... but I'm having to do trial and error and having no luck yet..

Here's the code I'm working on that is not 'working'.

<div><a id="Procedures">Procedures</a><div>

@Muse 

FIRST let me start by saying I'm a Jughead and didn't read your entire suggestion. I see you recommended what I said I was attempting.  I apologize for wasting your time.  

As for your fix, it still isn't working.  I am trying to get it to link to the Standard Operating Procedures below the condo section and I named the anchor SOP in the code you suggested.   Published it and it still goes to the top of the page.  

Again, please excuse my rushing and missing your full suggestion.  

@hispeed68 

In looking at the code generated I can see the anchor but it appears to be combined/combining  with other code.  And there should be no divs.

Can you confirm that only the anchor snippet is in that HTML widget? 😉

Judith

Community Manager

Hi @hispeed68. Thanks for posting. The only way I know of doing this is to do the following:

1. Create a link in your website that goes to the section you want to link to externally. This can be something as innocuous as an image or a single word somewhere in your text. 
    2. Use the link creation options in the builder to link to the specific page and section you're wanting to link to externally. 
    3. Publish your site.
    4. Find the link you created and copy its destination.
    5. If you don't want the link to remain on the site, you can remove it in the editor and publish your site again. 

You can use the link in your document and that should get them to the correct page and section. I tested this and it worked for me. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW 

Thanks for the help.  I was able to follow @Muse recommendation and insert an HTML widget and embed the following <a name="SOP"></a>.  It took me a minute to figure out the linking inside my report software but it worked perfectly.  I'll remember your recommendation if I need to do it again.  

Thanks again @Muse