• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Migrate a site away from Wix to a managed Wordpress site on Godaddy

Hi,

I currently have a website on Wix, hosted by Wix.

I created a new website through Wordpress and planned for it to be hosted through Godaddy.

I successfully transferred my domain away from Wix to Godaddy and went to transfer the hosting service and change the domain name on my WP site over and every time I check the status it says "Change domain pending". I've tried researching this and read in one place that it can take up to 10 days for the process to complete but it has now been 13 days since I requested it. Do I need to do something additional or is this still within the normal processing? Thanks!

Melissa

6 REPLIES 6
    New

Melissa, what you could try is using akeeba backup for wordpress and create a full site backup and transfer it via ftp or Godaddy's Cpanel File Manager through uploading the ZIP and uncompressing it on the spot (much much faster this way).

As for the domain, you could specify your NS (Name Servers) for now so that it points to your account on Godaddy on the meantime so that when the transfer is completed, the transition is seamless and the site remains the same.

Just my two cents 🙂

Thank you, I will try that today.

New

You shoud specify your NS with WIX for now [that's what I meant (if they provide such possibility)].

I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but it isn't Wix non transferable?

Maybe they have made changes. Do you have direct access to the database?

Thanks, I did specify the NS when originally transferring the domain name. I'll double check and see if I need to do anything additional to finish the hosting transfer. In the meantime I'll take your advice of doing a site backup and uploading directly to Godaddy.

New

I think you do need to release the domain from Wix first (as it seems you've done)... then you go to godaddy and (if its managed wordpress) you can change it with this process: https://ca.godaddy.com/help/change-my-domain-16322