• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Helper V

Protect Your Images on Websites

I am starting this conversation since image have to be at the top of the list of things to steal off the web.

Yes I have had this happen to me several times. One dude I shamed him publicly in a chat we were in together and .... that is all it took.

There are millions of images on the web. If asked who took that image, most folks are going to say they have no clue....... they got it off the web. You want your images protected on your own server or website?

Do some work before that image ever makes the internet. Name the file for search engines to pick up before upload. Watermark the darn thing. Where you put the watermark matters as well. Place the watermark in the corner, dont be surprised if you see it on the open web without the watermark.

Make the image smaller then 480 pixels...... why? A small image is typically to small for anyone to do anything with.

I ran across folks trying to sale there images all the time........ why buy it when folks can just take it? AND they do! I had a nice chat with costumer service at one such website where you pay to upload images so folks can buy them. I brought this up to them.... no images were protected. I am sure their clients thought their images were??

Do your homework, if and only if you care that folks use your images making money off you.

Mrsroadrunner Photography
    6 REPLIES 6
    Community Manager

Great topic for discussion, @mrsroadrunner! I moved it and updated the title a bit to get more people here. Would be great for others in the community to chime in! How do you protect your images?

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW

Oh darn went to copy my reply just in case, and it deleted everything ha

Thank you Jesse for doing that.

I watermark my images. The ones that are purchased I add a license with them (it is illegal / against the law to take in images stolen off the web and have them printed out at places like walmart. The license is just to have if someone questions the image purchased).

On my site I also have taken the mobile devices a tad bit more seriously. Resizing photographs for the mobile folks, make it so the images do not take up so much paid data I learned about. That in itself has been a interesting learning experience haha

Most folks do not care if people take their images, some do.

Thank you again, and I will try and not delete this one haha

Helper V

speaking with someone right now whose image keeps getting stolen. someone playing with him no doubt. told him watermark his image...... then the person playing with him can at least advertise for him

New

I think that is a great discussion! However, the only problem I have with the watermark is that anyone can take it off with Photoshop. I was wondering if there was a way to lock the images because a while back I was using Word Press and I bought a theme for about $40.00 and it had a way to lock your image so that way if anyone tried to copy it, it would have a disclaimer on it not allowing you to copy it. Maybe I will go back to that on my next website build. If anyone would know though on Website Builder, I would appreciate the info. Great topic!

Since June 2015, 

I have stopped using my web page with Godaddy as I stoped my business.

Somebody else in 2015 has bought the name which was ok but has put all my old 2006 copyright material back on (100% of my we design, pictures and texts there).  So people think I continue the business but have no way to find me as e-mails and phones do not work anymore.

I have asked you, Godaddy many times to help me and have had no answers.

So I just sent you another e-mail to copyrightclaims@godaddy.com ... lets see if this time you can do something.

Thanks,

Patrizia

Retired
    Not applicable

Hi @Patrizia,

I would advise keeping all copies of emails sent, and seek legal advice. There are too authorities in your region to deal with website copyright infringement, and will take action to force the offender to remove content. You will have to research your countries authorities.