• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Unable to Upload Photos - Website Builder

Hi:

I am a new customer and I'm having great difficulty uploading photos to my new website. The photos are well within size and pixel-count limits. I've tried the following:

1. Changed the name of files so that there are no spaces or special characters - no difference. 
    2. Sometimes a photo will upload after multiple tries.
    3. I'm using an iMac running OS 10.11.6 El Capitan
    4. I've tried uploading using Safari and Chrome in non-private and private windows - no difference
    5. I've rebooted my computer, checked security settings... I can't see anything unusual.
    6. I've scoured the forum and found that some people have had that issue but I could not find any solutions.

I also enlisted the help of an on-line GoDaddy support technician but she was not able to help. She did offer to upload the files for me if I emailed them to her. That was nice of her to offer that but it would be a pain for both of us. I just want the software to work the way it is supposed to work.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
    Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

Re: Unable to Upload Photos - Website Builder

Hi @MikeMaillet,

Couple of quick questions - How big are the images?  I recently updated my phone and now it has much bigger image sizes by default.  I found this out while uploading to a WordPress site?  If the files are too large you might get a timeout on the upload.

Are you getting any sort of error message on the upload?  That may be a clue for us to help.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Hi James:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Most of the photos I try to upload are about 2.5 MB to 3.5MB and pixel count would be about 5,000 X 3,300 at the very most, with the majority of photos being smaller than that.

The error message is not specific. A window shows up saying, "Uh-oh! Your image did not upload. Please try again." At this point, my only option is to go back to the Dashboard and then re-enter the site for editing, where I can try again.

Also, for any given image, I might get the error message at the very start of the upload and on subsequent tries (same image) I might get the image almost fully uploaded before the error message pops up. As well, I tried attaching a screen shot to this post's reply and the post did not go through. There might be a delay at the GoDaddy end for screening purposes(?).

I use Photoshop CC to edit and save photos and all photos are saved in the standard .jpg format.

As I'm typing this I got the thought that maybe the issue lies with the icons for the file that contain a preview image. I'll go ahead and try to remove the preview from the icon and see if this makes a difference.

Lastly, I've been able to upload close to 30 photos so far but it has been an arduous task, given that most of the photos that were uploaded required multiple attempts. The worst thing is that my website is a photo website  :-(

Thanks for any help or insight you or others may have.

Mike

I've also tried getting rid of the EXIF data and at first, I thought I had found as solution. I was able to upload four photos without any issue but the problem reared its head again with the fifth photo and with every other since.

Mike

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

Hi @MikeMaillet,

I'm going to do a bit of experimentation on some uploads.  What speed connection upload connection do you have?  I'm wondering if there is a time-out going on somewhere during the upload and it cannot resume.  

I will say that for the web those are large files.  HUGE files.  When in Photoshop are you using the export tool set with web-photo settings? This should greatly reduce the size of the files.  You can create an action in Photoshop to run a batch job for optimizing your images all at once.  I also use a program called Irfanview.  I've used it for at least 15 years.  It has an awesome batch feature that will let me resize and optimize hundreds of files in a single run.  http://www.irfanview.com/  This program is free, but its well worth a donation!!  Note that none of GD web-builders (or those at other companies as well) have full image optimization built-in.   That detail is on the publisher.  If you are serving an image over about 150K expect a long load and upload time. 

My inclination is that the large file size, even though they are "within limits" may be the actual problem.

Hope this helps,

James

Hi James:

Thanks very much for your help. I've been using Photoshop for years but never had to worry about saving for the web. I'll do as you suggest and hope that this will fix the issue.

I shall return and report  :-)

Mike

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I
    Solution

Just as a general state of the web, image compression and bandwith is a huge issue for many including companies/services providing hosting.  That's why photobucket and similar services have taken such a hold.  For all things web, these third-party service provide image-compression, a cdn (content delivery network) at least in the background, extended upload algorithms and ...,.....

Every site in which I deploy WordPress, I have a built in image optimizer.  I have found that is about the only way to manage input from phones!  Its set to automatically reformat uploads to the proper theme size, create the necessary image sizes for each post type, and then compress the *$*#$AS#@ out of them. WP-Smush.  Problem is that doesn't necessarily for non-wp sites.

If you are interested in a beta-design that I'm working on to address some of the GoCentral limitations private message me.  Sometimes, its just a matter of getting the right tools to work together for you!

James

Solution

Hi James:

SUCCESS!

I've been shrinking my images and have had no issues with uploading after 6-7 images.

My problem has been solved and I've learned something new today. Thanks very much for your help!

Mike

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

High Five!!!