• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Website is a blank page for some users

I'm a newbie who just made his first website. I have it hosted through github pages with a godaddy url, and already some issues have arisen. A sizeable amount of users are reporting that the website doesn't load at all for them and they're greeted with just a blank screen. However it works for me, my friends, and many other users. The issue doesn't seem to be a browser, location, or OS issue, my guess is for some reason they are not receiving the website files. As per a couple tutorials: I have a CNAME and A RECORD setup in my zones config, as well as a CNAME in my github page.

The website in question is: http://hsalternategamemodes.com/

Here is a screenshot somebody sent me of what they see: http://i.imgur.com/YRCaJsg.png

Any idea what the issue could be?

EDIT: I managed to have the issue to occur on my phone, I then changed wireless networks on it and the website loaded fine. Which confirms it's a problem with users retrieving the files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The problem has been resolved! I had 2 hostnames as I didn't know I should be deleting the default one when I was setting it up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    Advocate VI

So first I tested what I could see. I'm on a Mac, it looks fine on Firefox and Chrome. However, Safari gives me the blank page.

I looked at the source code -- both Firefox and Chrome show the same thing, but Safari shows something else. I mean something COMPLETELY different than the other two browsers. No idea why...

Just for grins, I tried clearing cache and history in Safari. And then, MIRACULOUSLY, the site appeared. So there was something going on... I'm not sure what, but something in cache was preventing the site from displaying.

I would start by going to the person who sent the blank screenshot. Ask them to clear cache and see if that fixes it. I know that won't really diagnose the root problem, but it will tell you how to get around it while you figure it out.

The problem has been resolved! I had 2 hostnames as I didn't know I should be deleting the default one when I was setting it up.

View solution in original post

We are having the same issue - where are the hostnames located?

@whm - you set the hostname for your server in the WHM dashboard under Networking Setup -> Change Hostname

Cheers!

Doc

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
    Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff